Variable insurance

BJLFS

I searched already and couldn't find any info on it.

At Harrah's in Reno they have variable insurance. That is you can bet up to one half of your bet. So yes, you can bet say 10% of your bet and get 20% back if the dealer gets Blackjack. Are there any strategies for this or should one just bet the half bet? TIA.

No difference

Many places allow you to insure for less. This is nothing new. The amount of insurance does not change the house edge.

If the count justifies taking insurance and it is profitable then you should take the maximum insurance bet.

If you don't count or the count does not justify insurance then don't bet anything.

A losing bet is always a losing bet no matter what the amount and a winning bet is always a winning bet no matter what the amount.

BJLFS

Jon. said:
Many places allow you to insure for less. This is nothing new. The amount of insurance does not change the house edge.

If the count justifies taking insurance and it is profitable then you should take the maximum insurance bet.

If you don't count or the count does not justify insurance then don't bet anything.

A losing bet is always a losing bet no matter what the amount and a winning bet is always a winning bet no matter what the amount.
Thanks.

It's just like doubling*; when it's the most favorable play you go for the full amount and when it's not you don't at all.

*Tournament play and situations where you can't hit but you can double excepted.

tribute

BJLFS said:
I searched already and couldn't find any info on it.

At Harrah's in Reno they have variable insurance. That is you can bet up to one half of your bet. So yes, you can bet say 10% of your bet and get 20% back if the dealer gets Blackjack. Are there any strategies for this or should one just bet the half bet? TIA.

I think Prudential has that, too.

assume_R

At almost all of the tables I've played at, I've never seen a dealer stop a player for "Insuring for Less". Whether or not they advertise that as a specific rule, they let you insure up to half your bet. Just like doubling for less.

In both situations, though, you should only be insuring or doubling in +EV situations, and hence should do it for the maximum amount. That's why doubling for more is a great promotion. Insuring for more would also be a great promotion (for AP's!).