Interesting BJ switch situation + a bonus story

apex

Bonus Story!

Last night things were going terrible. Dropped about $2000 spreading $10-$200. I had a $150 bet out and got dealt 17. Dealer makes 18, but gets distracted during payouts and pushes my 17. No floor around watching, I should get away with this easy but another player corrects the dealer. I am usually level headed, but this made me quite upset and everyone around could tell. She kept saying "but you only had 17, dealer had 18" and I kept saying things like "thank you! I am so glad you caught that!" She spends the next 2 minutes explaining to me that I lost the hand and I spend the next 2 minutes making angry sarcastic replies. Finally, the dealer says "the cameras would have caught it and you would have had to pay it back." I reply "I disagree. That is possible but unlikely." At this point the woman finally realizes that I knew I had lost, and would have kept the money knowing this. She didn't say anything, but her body language indicated that she she understood that she cost me money and was sorry. I probably should have flat out told her that she should keep her mouth shut in those situations.

matt21

apex said:
I came upon an interesting situation today. Sat down a a BJ switch table and played a bit when I notice the dealer "bust" with a 22. I keep my mouth shut I as I get paid. 10ish minutes later it happens again. I am now confident this dealer doesn't know that 22 is suppose to be a push, and up my bets to 5X my normal min. thinking I have a pretty good edge. Results were poor, but does anyone know how this changes things? I am going to throw out a guess at 4% or 5%.
That's excellent spotting. Yes this definitely would have make a significant change in advantage (I dont know much about BJ Switch so cant help on percentages). I hope you played the game for as long as you could.

apex said:
Last night things were going terrible. Dropped about $2000 spreading $10-$200. I had a $150 bet out and got dealt 17. Dealer makes 18, but gets distracted during payouts and pushes my 17. No floor around watching, I should get away with this easy but another player corrects the dealer. I am usually level headed, but this made me quite upset and everyone around could tell. She kept saying "but you only had 17, dealer had 18" and I kept saying things like "thank you! I am so glad you caught that!" She spends the next 2 minutes explaining to me that I lost the hand and I spend the next 2 minutes making angry sarcastic replies. Finally, the dealer says "the cameras would have caught it and you would have had to pay it back." I reply "I disagree. That is possible but unlikely." At this point the woman finally realizes that I knew I had lost, and would have kept the money knowing this. She didn't say anything, but her body language indicated that she she understood that she cost me money and was sorry. I probably should have flat out told her that she should keep her mouth shut in those situations.
Oh man! I hate it when that happens. What a $%&&!

Sucker

Just another reason why it's generally a good idea to make friends with the ploppies at the table. Lessens the chance of them doing this out of spite. (There ARE exceptions to this rule, of course).