What math is involved in Blackjack?

Besides addition-totaling the cards, or addition and subtraction-determining the count. Math was my worst subject. I'm wondering what I should learn or brush up on. Thanks.

pooptarts92

Dividing is the main one, you need to divide the running count by the remaining decks for the true count. So brush up on division, and also get used to dividing fractions because sometimes you will have something like +9 with 2.5 decks remaining.

21gunsalute

Ouch. Blackjack and counting cards is probably not a good idea for someone who is poor at math. Practically every decision to make involves mathematics.

Sucker

It certainly IS a plus to be a math whiz, but really; all you need is a basic understanding of 3rd grade arithmetic, and it can be VERY possible to master card counting. Yes; blackjack DOES involve ADVANCED mathematics, but it won't necessarily affect you one bit if you don't know how to do the figuring yourself. That's because it's already BEEN figured out and published in books. If your counting system tells you to make x play when the count is y; you don't have to know WHY.

Shoofly

Sucker said:
It certainly IS a plus to be a math whiz, but really; all you need is a basic understanding of 3rd grade arithmetic, and it can be VERY possible to master card counting. Yes; blackjack DOES involve ADVANCED mathematics, but it won't necessarily affect you one bit if you don't know how to do the figuring yourself. That's because it's already BEEN figured out and published in books. If your counting system tells you to make x play when the count is y; you don't have to know WHY.
Exactly. Also, if the division to arrive at the TC is a problem for you, go to an unbalanced system.

21gunsalute

Sucker said:
Except that it would seem to follow that if someone is poor at basic mathematics they probably aren't real good at learning from books either. That may not always be the case but I think it would be the rule and not the exception.

blackchipjim

Math skillz

Yeah well don't sweat the math you can always use level 1 counts and still get the money. I have taught a few people to count and they were math impaired. You can eventually figuire out alot of sticking points on certain systems on your own. Your attitude is the most improtant when learning any subject. I didn't like math in school but when it came to learning it's application in counting I was both intriuged and inspired. Now all I have to do is learn how to spell.:laugh: