Highlight of my Blackjack days..

I have been playing for a few years and use basic strategy and learning to count. I am a recreational player in it for fun but with the good fortune of making more than I lost over the last couple of years.

I would go early on a Saturday morning and play at a $10 table varying my bets from $10 - $25. One day I'm next to this guy and we are talking after a few hours. I notice he is varying his bets and he comments that I know how to play. We're having a good time and both doing very well. I don't know how to count at the time but get from his hints that he is a counter. I watch his bets and when goes up I raise my bet a little and things go well. We play for 7 hours and I go home with $700 which is a huge payday for me.

Two weeks later I hit the tables in the afternoon with no luck and lose $300 which is my limit for the day in 2 hours. Im leaving and bump into my friend at another table. He talks me into playing so I go to my car for $300 more and sit at a $25 table with him. I am sweating as I don't normally play for that but assume it's a $300 lesson if I lose. We'll things go well and we are both up so after a while he says let me buy you dinner and we'll play some more.

We go dinner with a few friends and have a great steak. He says we're going to have the 4 of us play in the high limit room. He says he will get them to drop the minium to $50. I say ok and will play as long as my $700 I have lasts.

We go to the table and they won't drop the minimum to $50 so we play $100 and I am sweating. It goes well for me as I play between $100 and $150 per hand but never get down more the $300 so I stay alive. 2 of the other guys go to other tables and we continue. My friend is playing $200 - $ 600 a hand and is now up $6K. I am now up to $2500 and having the time of my life. He says I'm going to get $10K and then we quit. Its now 430AM and we have playing for 3 hrs in the HL room and tell him I can only handle one more shoe.

We play down to the end of the shoe and he tells me he's going to drop his 2 hands and back me and we're getting blackjack. I have seen him do this twice before and get the Ace so I say lets try. I'm still a little chicken and put up $400 figuring I lose and still go home with $2100 worst case. He backlines me for $2K. We get Ace 4 against dealer 6. We double so now he has $4K up and the dealers and pit are watching as there is noone else in the room. We get a 7 and sweat. The dealer flips an 8 then a 2 then a 6 to bust. I never screamed so loud.

That's a true story. I have never played for that kind of money again and probably never will but love the game for what it is and play when I can for low stakes.

Thanks to all the members for the posts in this forum as I have learned a lot and appreciate it.

Have a great day!

Joeb21

Joeb

Nice story, thanks.

I hope you appreciate the other player that took you under his wing for a night of what appears to be AP BJ play for sure, that doesn't happen much.

CP

Cp

Yes, I do approeciate it. This was 2 years ago. We became friends. He doesnt come up this way anymore but still keep in touch. He's working a regular job but great friend and lokk forward to playing with him again.

Dig

Joeb21 said:
Yes, I do approeciate it. This was 2 years ago. We became friends. He doesnt come up this way anymore but still keep in touch. He's working a regular job but great friend and lokk forward to playing with him again.
Your friend, the AP, has a regular job, plays BJ as a part time rec. pursuit, so he is friendly and relaxed and befriended you. Now if he were a full time Pro I highly doubt that would have happened, although your friend may be just as skilled as any Pro, but he has decided to approach his careers in a different way, smart man, you were lucky.:) Sounds like a great guy.

CP