Bank roll question

shadroch

I'm a little confused about a few aspects of the term bank roll.
As a player just starting out,all I need to worry about is trip BR,no?
100-150X my base bet is good for a few day trip.
When people refer to a non-replenished BR,I'm assuming they are talking about someone gambling full-time,with no means of replacing lost money,except for winnings. Is that correct?
A few more questions will follow,but am I right so far?

You are correct, however it is not out of the ordinary to lose 100u in 1-hour of play - so 200u is a better tripBR. zg

SEE:
tedloc said:
My advise is to set aside money each month for BJ and stay within you budget.
Actually, this point understood, can certainly priovide the bigger BR IMMEDIATELY. As long as you have a consistent BR replenishment PLAN, you can IMMEDIATELY begin betting to the bigger BR. As I've said in many posts, the BR need not be entirely cash-liquid at the time that play commences.

For example: Suppose you have $10k cash BR and a plan to add $1500 per month for the next 18 mos - you can immediately call your BR $37k and bet to a 1/3 to 1/2 Kelly scheme (some may say 1/4K). Undersuch a scenario it is apparent that Cass had his bigger BR all along without the loan.

"BR" never needs to be all cash in hand. zg

Sonny

shadroch said:
As a player just starting out,all I need to worry about is trip BR,no?
Well, that depends. What happens if you lose your bankroll? Will you quit playing forever or just save up more money and start again with a new bankroll?

shadroch said:
When people refer to a non-replenished BR,I'm assuming they are talking about someone gambling full-time,with no means of replacing lost money,except for winnings. Is that correct?
Right. A non-replenishable bankroll is one that will not be supplemented by other income (like a job). If you lose your bankroll then you are broke and can never afford to gamble again. :sad: If that is the case then you should be extremely worried about your lifetime ROR.

Most recreational players have a replenishable bankroll. If they lose a portion of it during a losing streak, they just replace it with money from their paycheck or other account. Player like that are mainly concerned with their trip ROR. They don’t want to go broke in the middle of a trip, but they aren’t as worried about losing all (or most) of their bankroll during a single visit.

I am a fairly conservative player. Even though I have a replenishable bankroll I prefer not to take money from my other sources to fund it. If I have some extra money at the end of the month I am happy to add it to my bankroll, but I would rather use it for other things. I prefer to focus on my lifetime ROR so that I don’t have to save up a new bankroll every few months (even though it may never happen).

Even though sizing your bets for a trip ROR is much riskier, there is nothing wrong with doing it. Risk is a very subjective thing and everyone will have their own tolerance that works for them. There is no such thing as a “right” or “wrong” ROR for every player. As long as you understand the risk involved and the potential consequences, any ROR you decide to use is correct.

-Sonny-

shadroch

zengrifter said:
You are correct, however it is not out of the ordinary to lose 100u in 1-hour of play - so 200u is a better tripBR. zg

SEE:

Actually, this point understood, can certainly priovide the bigger BR IMMEDIATELY. As long as you have a consistent BR replenishment PLAN, you can IMMEDIATELY begin betting to the bigger BR. As I've said in many posts, the BR need not be entirely cash-liquid at the time that play commences.

For example: Suppose you have $10k cash BR and a plan to add $1500 per month for the next 18 mos - you can immediately call your BR $37k and bet to a 1/3 to 1/2 Kelly scheme (some may say 1/4K). Undersuch a scenario it is apparent that Cass had his bigger BR all along without the loan.

"BR" never needs to be all cash in hand. zg

Since I don't have counting down pat,I doubt I'll spread my bets more than 1-3 or 1-4. Even allowing for some splits or doubles,I can't see losing 100 units in an hour.

shadroch said:
Since I don't have counting down pat,I doubt I'll spread my bets more than 1-3 or 1-4. Even allowing for some splits or doubles,I can't see losing 100 units in an hour.
You'll see it when you see it (and you WILL see it). BUT if you don't spread sufficiently for the #decks being played you won't have the necessary EV either. zg

Cass

shadroch said:

Last night i lost 80 units in about 5 minutes. This was with 1x6unit top bet. Heads up play! Lots of doubles and splits, and a lot of bad luck (standard deviation). When i left three hours later i was down 18units overall. AT one point i had gotten back up to even. I'm glad i brought a lot of money! A really bad run like this seems to happen every 50 hours of play or so.

ScottH

Cass said:
Last night i lost 80 units in about 5 minutes. This was with 1x6unit top bet. Heads up play! Lots of doubles and splits, and a lot of bad luck (standard deviation). When i left three hours later i was down 18units overall. AT one point i had gotten back up to even. I'm glad i brought a lot of money! A really bad run like this seems to happen every 50 hours of play or so.
Down 80u in 5 minutes!...ouch. Good thing it came back around for you.