Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Old March 25th, 2011, 11:23 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewljason View Post
...Only 2 teams make it to the sweet 16 and one of them Marquette was the last of the 11 teams in.

which proves they definitely deserved all 11!

definition of March Madness = 'any given day'

it's a one and done tourney so these things happen...had they played best of 5 series, there would be SEVERAL Big East teams left
Old March 25th, 2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharky View Post
which proves they definitely deserved all 11!

definition of March Madness = 'any given day'

it's a one and done tourney so these things happen...had they played best of 5 series, there would be SEVERAL Big East teams left
Homer alert!

Truth is with so few non-conference games throughout the year and most of them taking place in November and December, the conference power ratings are largely guesses. Oftentimes it might even come down to how the players look in their uniforms. It's silly. But with 64 teams, I think you can be sure that if a team didn't make it, they prolly would not have won the title anyway even if they did deserve to be in the field of 64.
Old March 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM
Executive Member

I agree with Sharky. Even if the East does not have the NCAA champ, which it still might, it was deep with good teams. Not to mention 2 of the East teams were knocked out by other East teams. I look at it this way, last year the Lakers lost games in the playoffs on their way to winning a title. In a 1 and done format they would not have made it. But what was proven in series play is that given a series of games, they proved to be the best team. Just because they lost a game, even 2 to Oklahoma City, doesn't mean OK City was better. Just like Sharky said...."any given day". Just because the Arizona Cardinals went to the Superbowl a couple of years ago, did that mean the NFC West was a better division then The NFC East that year?
Old March 25th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojack1 View Post
I agree with Sharky. Even if the East does not have the NCAA champ, which it still might, it was deep with good teams. Not to mention 2 of the East teams were knocked out by other East teams. I look at it this way, last year the Lakers lost games in the playoffs on their way to winning a title. In a 1 and done format they would not have made it. But what was proven in series play is that given a series of games, they proved to be the best team. Just because they lost a game, even 2 to Oklahoma City, doesn't mean OK City was better. Just like Sharky said...."any given day". Just because the Arizona Cardinals went to the Superbowl a couple of years ago, did that mean the NFC West was a better division then The NFC East that year?
Agreed. My guess is that if Morehead State University (more head please...) played Louisville a hundred times, Louisville would win 90+ of them maybe 95. But Louisville didn't get the job done on March 17 when it needed to. That is what makes this tournament so exciting.
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Executive Member

Default College and Professional Basketball, Football

It's good that the 2 levels of basketball have different formats to determine champions. The variety adds interest.

It's also good that college football has one long "playoff" regular season where every game counts vs Professional football with a regular season and playoffs.

College football may be better with a 4 team playoff format.

Now if someone would only come up with a way to make the college basketball season and the NIT meaningful?

I don't think you can make the professional basketball regular season meaninful except to shorten the regular season, that is not happening or perhaps fewer playoff teams? Also, not happening.
Old March 25th, 2011, 06:50 PM

Marquette... CRUNCH!

One decent win out of 11 teams (UConn over SDSU). The only reason Marquette made it this far is because they played another Big East team in the 2nd round lol.

GMAFB guys.
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chaperone View Post
Hindsight is 20/20 but that Pac10 under bet was truly brutal. Was this before or after USC was announced to be in the play-in game? They lost that game anyway, but the bet was still an easy loser and being in the play-in game really hurt your equity. The even bigger problem than that was that UW was massively live to make a deep run. They didn't, but still a huge ding to your equity.
Brutal indeed. The picks came from a black box, and this was not the first time this system has spit out picks that made me say, "WTF?" Yes, it did include USC's play-in game, and my initial reaction was similar to yours. But then again, there were WTF moments in the past that paid off. That's the dilemma of a quant system, wrestling between what the black box says and what your mind can rationalize. Hell, if a few things went different at the end of the Arizona / Texas game, it would look genius right now
Old March 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kewljason View Post
Hope you guys that are wagering are betting the dogs!
Alas, I threw some spare change down on Arizona last night... problem was that I took AZ +5.5 for the first half. Then I laid off the second half.... oh well
Old March 26th, 2011, 12:43 PM
Executive Member

I have it being UNC and Kansas in the finals. VCU's amazing run is about to end. And for all those who said the Big East was such a great conference this year... Total BS. As is customary, the ACC is the best basketball conference in the country.
Old March 27th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Executive Member

I went ahead an jumped on the underdog bandwagon yesterday. Nothing big. Wagering unit is about enough to take myself to a decent (not high end) dinner...lol. I knew I would be watching the games anyway. Initially I like 3 of th 4 underdogs. Yesterdays both covered. One winning outright the other covering the 2.5 line with a 2 point loss. I also wagered North carolina +1 today. Would have like to get 1.5 but no such luck. The final game Kansas/VCU looks like a blow out to me, so I initially didn't wager. I have enjoyed watching VCU play and upset some teams, and will be routing for them but just didn't think they could stay close to Kansas. After the line moved up from 10.5 to 11.5 overnight, which tells me everyone and his mother is taking Kansas, I went ahead against my better judgement and took a shot with VCU. I like to go against the masses.