Value of the known card - Scavenger play of the month

It had been a difficult session, nothing was working, and I was down about 100 units for the session. I had a 2 unit bet out, which won, and, with the slew of low cards that came out, the count rose enough to plop out a 10 unit bet. However, that would be to blatant, so I conservatively spread to 2 hands-6 units each. First base, a friendly sort of ploppy, had 77 v dealer 4. He split, got an 8 for 15 on hand 1, drew another seven for another split opportunity which he was about to pass on. His bet was a 21 unit equivalent to mine. I believe in always being well capitalized, so I asked him if I could take over 77 v 4 to which he agreed. Drawing an ace, I doubled my soft 18 on hand 1, drew another 7 to hand 2, split again drawing a 3, doubled and simply passed on hand 3. To my own 2 hands, I drew blackjack to hand 1 and doubled on hand 2. Dealer busted - the contribution to my personal AP relief fund was 120 units for the hand. The balance of the evening enured to my benefit.

There arw 2 lessons here -
1. Make sure you are always well capitalized
2. Scavenging can be very profitable.

NightStalker

I am still wondering

Freightman said:
It had been a difficult session, nothing was working, and I was down about 100 units for the session. I had a 2 unit bet out, which won, and, with the slew of low cards that came out, the count rose enough to plop out a 10 unit bet. However, that would be to blatant, so I conservatively spread to 2 hands-6 units each. First base, a friendly sort of ploppy, had 77 v dealer 4. He split, got an 8 for 15 on hand 1, drew another seven for another split opportunity which he was about to pass on. His bet was a 21 unit equivalent to mine. I believe in always being well capitalized, so I asked him if I could take over 77 v 4 to which he agreed. Drawing an ace, I doubled my soft 18 on hand 1, drew another 7 to hand 2, split again drawing a 3, doubled and simply passed on hand 3. To my own 2 hands, I drew blackjack to hand 1 and doubled on hand 2. Dealer busted - the contribution to my personal AP relief fund was 120 units for the hand. The balance of the evening enured to my benefit.

There arw 2 lessons here -
1. Make sure you are always well capitalized
2. Scavenging can be very profitable.
who made the scavenger play - ploppy or you?
I like the ploppy who improved his 14 to 7 at free cost. By definition of scavenger play, ploppy seems the master to me- gaining ~20%advantage at no cost...

In s17, ndas game: 7vs 4 is -EV. In h17-das, game, 7Vs4 would be barely +EV play.

Meistro

Don't scavenge unless the ploppy is super friendly, under your control and winning a decent amount. You get scammed once and the ev of this move fifty times is eaten.

NightStalker said:
you are right, my point was:
ploppy move is much more +EV than poster..
I have an unusual situation in my home locale, where the power of my BJ BR far exceeds my opportunity to play it. In other words, I can't go to town unless I am out of town. This opportunity was still 0% ror, or very close to it. It did attract pit attention, but it looked like a steamer play, which was the beauty of it - and I would have eaten the loss if in fact it had occurred. I no longer recall the exact TC, however, it was big enough to make this an attractive proposition.