Statistics and Coffee

MangoJ

[SONNY:Moved from another thread]

The laws of statistic may seem weak to you (because they may not predict any specific event), but don't be blended by that.

In fact the laws of statistics is the best theoretical AND empirical proven theory existing on this planet. Without proper statistics (as we know them) you could not boil your water for your everyday coffee (all your coffee powder would just pile up on a single spot), or even breath (no air molecule would find into your lungs just by accident)

There is a billion times higher probability that your dad does not tell you his full story, than that he is a 10year nothing-but-successful progressionist.

psyduck

MangoJ said:
Without proper statistics (as we know them) you could not boil your water for your everyday coffee (all your coffee powder would just pile up on a single spot), or even breath (no air molecule would find into your lungs just by accident)
Please educate me. A person without knowledge of statistics will not be able to make his own coffee?

What is an air molecule?

MangoJ

[SONNY: Moved from another thread.]

psyduck said:
Please educate me. A person without knowledge of statistics will not be able to make his own coffee?

What is an air molecule?
Boiling water as a phase transition is fully understood in thermodynamics. And thermodynamics is fully understood with applied (quantum-) statistics. Without those proper statistics, thermodynamical laws would be different than observed billions of times every day. And with different kind of thermodynamics you would not be able to boil water the same way you used to, different laws of gases and fluids would apply.

psyduck

MangoJ said:
Comp play is an entirely different story. I agree with that, it's profitable and quite a hobby.

Boiling water as a phase transition is fully understood in thermodynamics. And thermodynamics is fully understood with applied (quantum-) statistics. Without those proper statistics, thermodynamical laws would be different than observed billions of times every day. And with different kind of thermodynamics you would not be able to boil water the same way you used to, different laws of gases and fluids would apply.
Why would anyone need the knowledge of thermodynamics to boil water? Do you always go through those laws before you make a cup of coffee?

MangoJ

psyduck said:
Why would anyone need the knowledge of thermodynamics to boil water? Do you always go through those laws before you make a cup of coffee?
Please don't twist my words. I said that thermodynamics and statistics are the most well studied theories existing. Denying them while making coffee is ridiculous.

psyduck

MangoJ said:
Please don't twist my words. I said that thermodynamics and statistics are the most well studied theories existing. Denying them while making coffee is ridiculous.
I DID NOT twist anything. Here is what you said in post #5 of this thread:

"In fact the laws of statistics is the best theoretical AND empirical proven theory existing on this planet. Without proper statistics (as we know them) you could not boil your water for your everyday coffee (all your coffee powder would just pile up on a single spot), or even breath (no air molecule would find into your lungs just by accident)"

I never tried to deny the theory, but had a hard time relating it to making coffee or breathing "air molecule" as you stated.

MangoJ said:
[SONNY:Moved from another thread]

The laws of statistic may seem weak to you (because they may not predict any specific event), but don't be blended by that.

In fact the laws of statistics is the best theoretical AND empirical proven theory existing on this planet. .
While there is a theory of probability and its accompanied statistical logic,
I don't think there is a "laws of statistics". Anyone? zg

psyduck said:
I DID NOT twist anything. Here is what you said in post #5 of this thread:

"In fact the laws of statistics is the best theoretical AND empirical proven theory existing on this planet. Without proper statistics (as we know them) you could not boil your water for your everyday coffee (all your coffee powder would just pile up on a single spot), or even breath (no air molecule would find into your lungs just by accident)"
Au contrair, mon PsycoDuck. Prior to 1654 it was impossible to boil water.
Thats why everyone drank iced tea. zg
In 1654, prompted by a friend interested in gambling problems, Pascal corresponded with Fermat, and from that collaboration was born the mathematical theory of probabilities.

Thunder

zengrifter said:
While there is a theory of probability and its accompanied statistical logic,
I don't think there is a "laws of statistics". Anyone? zg
There just might be some. Being mean in statistics is being average :grin: Deviants are standard as well in statistics.

But in answer to your question, (from wikipedia) a law of statistics represents a type of behaviour that has been found across a number of datasets and, indeed, across a range of types of data sets.[1] Many of these observances have been formulated and proved as statistical or probabilistic theorems and the term "law" has been carried over to these theorems. There are other statistical and probabilistic theorems that also have "law" as a part of their names that have not obviously derived from empirical observations. However, both types of "law" may be considrered instances of a scientific law in the field of statistics.

Canceler

Slightly off topic, but I don't care!

In line with this...

zengrifter said:
In 1654, prompted by a friend interested in gambling problems, Pascal corresponded with Fermat, and from that collaboration was born the mathematical theory of probabilities.
Is it true then, that up until sometime in the last century, the entire world was in black & white?

psyduck

zengrifter said:
How did you grow tea back then, zigzagoon?

Canceler said:
In line with this...
Is it true then, that up until sometime in the last century, the entire world was in black & white?
Still is, statistically speaking. And I still don't trust'em! zg

Mark Twain's "Three types of Lies" >>
1. Lies
2. Damn Lies!
3. Statistics

Thunder said:
There just might be some. Being mean in statistics is being average :grin: Deviants are standard as well in statistics.

But in answer to your question, (from wikipedia) a law of statistics represents a type of behaviour that has been found across a number of datasets and, indeed, across a range of types of data sets.[1] Many of these observances have been formulated and proved as statistical or probabilistic theorems and the term "law" has been carried over to these theorems. There are other statistical and probabilistic theorems that also have "law" as a part of their names that have not obviously derived from empirical observations. However, both types of "law" may be considrered instances of a scientific law in the field of statistics.
Damn Lies!