Did I do the right thing? (Hard 17 vs. Dealer 3)

Hi all. Long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm a flat-betting, BS, plays blackjack for fun player.

I was playing heads up at a CSM table when I hit my hard 8 against a dealer 7 or 8. Got a 9 for 17 and then the dealer dropped the discards she was trying to put back in the CSM from the prior hand. When she picks them up she accidentally picks up her up card too and puts that back in the machine. Floor is called and he decides delear should draw the next card for her new up card, and it turns out to be a 3. So I now have hard 17 against a dealer 3. I'm given the opportunity to pull my bet or finish the hand.

I pulled my bet. Guy watching from behind tells me I'm an idiot (several times), but I think I made the right move. Turned out dealer would have drawn to 21.

Regardless of what happened...was I right to pull my bet?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff

Sucker

(The correct play is to double down, of course.)

I've had this happen to me several times over the years. One time I even had a pat 20 with the next card an ace, so I doubled down on hard 20.

But here's how I handle it and get away with it: If I was the only one who actually SAW the card, I'll use it to my advantage ONLY if it makes for a relatively non-stinky play (hitting hard 17 does not qualify, of course). If the card was exposed in such an obvious way that everyone (most importantly, the floorman) saw it, I would ask the floorman point blank what I should do! Sometimes he'll have the exposed card burned, but sometimes it WILL be the next card out, in which case MOST floormen will actually SUGGEST a double down! So far, as long as I've gotten their blessing; I have never gotten a problem.

But then again, I'm a professional; in which case I have to be careful not to get barred. As for YOU, a BS non-pro: If it ever happens again, double down! If someone like YOU gets kicked out (very unlikely), no big deal!

paddywhack

Sucker said:

I've had this happen to me several times over the years. One time I even had a pat 20 with the next card an ace, so I doubled down on hard 20.

But here's how I handle it and get away with it: If I was the only one who actually SAW the card, I'll use it to my advantage ONLY if it makes for a relatively non-stinky play (hitting hard 17 does not qualify, of course). If the card was exposed in such an obvious way that everyone (most importantly, the floorman) saw it, I would ask the floorman point blank what I should do! Sometimes he'll have the exposed card burned, but sometimes it WILL be the next card out, in which case MOST floormen will actually SUGGEST a double down! So far, as long as I've gotten their blessing; I have never gotten a problem.

But then again, I'm a professional; in which case I have to be careful not to get barred. As for YOU, a BS non-pro: If it ever happens again, double down! If someone like YOU gets kicked out (very unlikely), no big deal!
Think you misunderstood. The 3 became the dealer's NEW upcard and wasn't the next card to be played out of the shoe.

Sucker said:

If the dealer was showing 7 or higher, would it have been better EV to stay on 20 and wait for the next hand and bet table max at first base knowing that you're getting the ace?

Sucker

alwayssplitaces said:
If the dealer was showing 7 or higher, would it have been better EV to stay on 20 and wait for the next hand and bet table max at first base knowing that you're getting the ace?
Yes; you're right, but in that case the floor almost certainly WOULD burn the card. I usually reserve THAT play for when I was the only one who saw the card (I'll even stand on 12, or maybe even stand on A-5.

Besides, on the hand I was talking about; I was on 3rd base & 1st base was being occupied by a non-teammate.

Sucker said:
Yes; you're right, but in that case the floor almost certainly WOULD burn the card. I usually reserve THAT play for when I was the only one who saw the card (I'll even stand on 12, or maybe even stand on A-5.

Besides, on the hand I was talking about; I was on 3rd base & 1st base was being occupied by a non-teammate.
Would they burn it if you had a table max bet and got a 20 and the ace was exposed? They know you would double down if you're getting the ace.