Preserving longevity

flyingwind

I need some advice from those more experienced here. Some places, it seems like the eye in the sky is really sharp. Other places, it seems like the pit staff is the sharp ones. I think I've gotten to the level where my play is too good. I just don't look like a ploppy any more. It's just too obvious that I know what I'm doing. No amount of camouflauge seems to work. No back offs, but certainly been stared down by the pit quite a bit. I can give you the details of the types of heat and sweatiness in PM. What should I do now to preserve longevity?

(This reminds me of a post I read some time ago about Moo going into a store, playing for 15 min, and being asked to leave.)

Any other stores with playable games around?

Arent there other playable games around. I am no expert but sounds like time to shop at another store for a while. Maybe someone can advise you on how long.

blackjackomaha

flyingwind said:
I need some advice from those more experienced here. Some places, it seems like the eye in the sky is really sharp. Other places, it seems like the pit staff is the sharp ones. I think I've gotten to the level where my play is too good. I just don't look like a ploppy any more. It's just too obvious that I know what I'm doing. No amount of camouflauge seems to work. No back offs, but certainly been stared down by the pit quite a bit. I can give you the details of the types of heat and sweatiness in PM. What should I do now to preserve longevity?

(This reminds me of a post I read some time ago about Moo going into a store, playing for 15 min, and being asked to leave.)

I don't know your experience level - I've only been playing AP blackjack for a couple of years, so you might be more experienced than me.

Examining your play, have you exhibited patterns (i.e. typically playing same shifts at the same stores, same tables, same buy-in amounts, same types of clothes, same attitude)?

Do you use a player's card every time? Sometimes? Never?

Have you cycled through all of the above at the various stores in your area?

If there are a limited number of tables that are worth playing at, then unfortunately, over time it is inevitable someone will notice you, and give you more attention - whether it is deserved or not.

Again, I don't know how helpful I am being, but feel free to PM me with more details and I will do my best to offer any advice from experience or from talking to other local AP's.

There are many MUCH more experienced players on this forum that will be more than happy to help and I welcome any of their comments.

kewljason

This post exemplifies the true advantage of Las Vegas. There are better games many places, especially with so many more choices in the past decade, but no place has the pure quantity of games as Vegas. For that reason alone, I still believe anyone seriously thinking about "career" type play, still should consider being based here, despite my joking posts to the contrary. Not necessarily live here, but be willing to spend a good amount of time here. Of course, most players aren't looking to play at that level and probably aren't in a position to pick up and relocate as I did, so you make do with what you have available, with some road trips thrown in. :cool:

Next time you go, play an obvious progression system and don't even count. Make some of the index plays at times ploppies would, like insuring a 20 or splitting face cards against 6. Once they label you as a progression bettor, the heat will stop.

Or just find another store.

HockeXpert

kewljason said:
This post exemplifies the true advantage of Las Vegas. There are better games many places, especially with so many more choices in the past decade, but no place has the pure quantity of games as Vegas. For that reason alone, I still believe anyone seriously thinking about "career" type play, still should consider being based here, despite my joking posts to the contrary.
Alright KJ! Seeking to solve the housing crisis in LV by advertising the advantage to AP's!:laugh: I'll help you get the media campaign off the ground. How does "What happens in Vegas, can't be discussed in public." sound?

FLASH1296

The statement: ...

"Next time you go, play an obvious progression system and don't even count. Make some of the index plays at times ploppies would, like insuring a 20 or splitting face cards against 6. Once they label you as a progression bettor, the heat will stop."

is false.

It will stop (while you hemorrhage money) BUT when you return too playing properly, another employee will notice and you will still be TOAST.

moo321

It sounds like you are unable to tell the difference between heat and a bored employee. You think that every time someone is watching you, they're on to your play. It's not always true.

And if you're laying down cover, you've backed yourself off. Better to play and get the money and have a short career and move onto something else, than have longevity and no money.

flyingwind

moo321 said:
It sounds like you are unable to tell the difference between heat and a bored employee. You think that every time someone is watching you, they're on to your play. It's not always true.

And if you're laying down cover, you've backed yourself off. Better to play and get the money and have a short career and move onto something else, than have longevity and no money.
Hmm... I like your thoughts. I'm going to chew on this.