Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com


Go Back   Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com > Miscellaneous > Gambling Law

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old June 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
LovinItAll LovinItAll is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Default Yet Another Lazy Question Re: The Law and ID

Hey,

Too lazy to look up the statute unless no one knows the answer, but:

I was told recently that, when issuing a player's card, it is a legal requirement in Nevada that the information on a player's ID (Driver's License, Passport, etc.) must be entered exactly as presented on the ID. This only matters from a personal perspective:

One's name is Gaylord Focker. Gaylord prefers to be called 'Greg', as Gaylord is his imprisoned father's name and he would rather not answer questions regarding why his father flashed an 82 year-old man while doing a one-armed handstand in the middle of LV Blvd, subsequently causing a 12 car pile-up where another man got his schlong severed because he was receiving pleasure from the hooker he just picked up and she forgot to remove her teeth. The hooker is now suing because her dentures were damaged in the accident. The man's willie was slung from the car and was run over by a one-eyed clown on a unicycle. It was reattached, but most of the girth was lost - he did pick up some length, though.

The casino will not enter or reference 'Greg' in their system, citing Nevada law.

Anyone?

L.I.A.

Last edited by LovinItAll; June 4th, 2011 at 01:26 PM.
  #2  
Old June 4th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Sucker Sucker is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 1,504
Default

There is no such law. It might be against a particular casino's POLICY; and the girl LIED to you (or maybe her boss lied to HER) but that's about it.

Here's another lie that even the COPS in Nevada will try to pull: "It's against Nevada law to NOT have ID in your possession at all times". If that were true then every homeless person in Vegas would be lining up at the jailhouse in order to get their "three hots & a cot". And you could get arrested if you were to attempt to report a mugging.
  #3  
Old June 4th, 2011, 03:56 PM
bigplayer bigplayer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 401
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinItAll View Post
Hey,

Too lazy to look up the statute unless no one knows the answer, but:

I was told recently that, when issuing a player's card, it is a legal requirement in Nevada that the information on a player's ID (Driver's License, Passport, etc.) must be entered exactly as presented on the ID. This only matters from a personal perspective:

One's name is Gaylord Focker. Gaylord prefers to be called 'Greg', as Gaylord is his imprisoned father's name and he would rather not answer questions regarding why his father flashed an 82 year-old man while doing a one-armed handstand in the middle of LV Blvd, subsequently causing a 12 car pile-up where another man got his schlong severed because he was receiving pleasure from the hooker he just picked up and she forgot to remove her teeth. The hooker is now suing because her dentures were damaged in the accident. The man's willie was slung from the car and was run over by a one-eyed clown on a unicycle. It was reattached, but most of the girth was lost - he did pick up some length, though.

The casino will not enter or reference 'Greg' in their system, citing Nevada law.

Anyone?

L.I.A.
Nevada law does not even require ID for a players card (which is just a loyalty card same as the one you get from a grocery store). It is casino rules that decide what they will require to get a players card. If the casino says they will only put your "official" name on the players card then you'll just have to live with it.
  #4  
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:03 PM
LovinItAll LovinItAll is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplayer View Post
Nevada law does not even require ID for a players card (which is just a loyalty card same as the one you get from a grocery store). It is casino rules that decide what they will require to get a players card. If the casino says they will only put your "official" name on the players card then you'll just have to live with it.
They'll put anything ON the card, it's in the system that one place said, "Nevada law says..." and then blah, blah, bs, bs.

Thanks,

L.I.A.
  #5  
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:12 PM
Youk Youk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 44
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinItAll View Post
They'll put anything ON the card, it's in the system that one place said, "Nevada law says..." and then blah, blah, bs, bs.

Thanks,

L.I.A.
100% lie. It is not Nevada law. It is casino policy, as bigplayer said. I know LVBear has worked on a lawsuit regarding that topic of lying to its customers, but I did not hear how that lawsuit turned out...

On another note, it is also not Nevada law to scan your government ID. I have had multiple people try to scan my government ID, but I always flat out tell them to stop scanning. I had a problem at one casino that said it was Gaming regulation (100% lie), and I told them that it wasn't. The person called their manager, and the manager said not to scan the ID.
  #6  
Old June 4th, 2011, 04:31 PM
Brock Windsor Brock Windsor is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 693
Default Thread should be moved.

To the law section.
  #7  
Old June 4th, 2011, 05:52 PM
aslan's Avatar
aslan aslan is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 8,683
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
There is no such law. It might be against a particular casino's POLICY; and the girl LIED to you (or maybe her boss lied to HER) but that's about it.

Here's another lie that even the COPS in Nevada will try to pull: "It's against Nevada law to NOT have ID in your possession at all times". If that were true then every homeless person in Vegas would be lining up at the jailhouse in order to get their "three hots & a cot". And you could get arrested if you were to attempt to report a mugging.
However, a casino may ask you to show your ID at any time. If you do not comply, it is their right under the "right to refuse service" to have you leave the premises. But it is my contention they cannot refuse to cash your chips.
  #8  
Old June 4th, 2011, 06:45 PM
LovinItAll LovinItAll is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
However, a casino may ask you to show your ID at any time. If you do not comply, it is their right under the "right to refuse service" to have you leave the premises. But it is my contention they cannot refuse to cash your chips.
(This is just a stupid pet peeve of mine)

I don't have an issue with that. Some of these joints have decided that they are a 'first name culture' (they cited the law when I said that if that's the case, at least put the 'name' I wish to be called in the system so I wouldn't be called by a name no one has ever addressed me by). 'First name' is fine, but at least take the time to figure out how to address a customer properly (to the folks who sweat flying under the radar, I understand your position. I should probably be more like you, but to get comped...)

Some of the top 10 names of my generation were:

Richard (Rich, Dick, Ritchie, Rick, Ricky)
William (Will, Willie, Bill, Billy)
James (Jim, Jimbo, Slick, et al)

The odds of calling someone by their preferred name are actually pretty poor. I hate when someone half my age does the "I'll just call you (whatever) because I know you so well" and then they get it wrong. What ever happened to "Hello, Mr. Smith" until they know for certain?

Some of these places seem to be run by pencil pushers who have no clue how to really connect with their players.

End of rant...sorry. This thread is meaningless.

L.I.A.
  #9  
Old June 5th, 2011, 02:18 AM
FLASH1296's Avatar
FLASH1296 FLASH1296 is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: East Coast, U S A
Posts: 3,749
Send a message via ICQ to FLASH1296 Send a message via AIM to FLASH1296
Default


I am so old, that when I first stepped foot in Nevada I was pleased
to discover that I was always addressed as "Mister __" with the __
being the first letter of my last name.

That was actually part of the casino sub-culture.

It was "as if" everyone was incognito, and loving it.

I liked it, and I believe that nearly everyone else did as well.


  #10  
Old June 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
LovinItAll LovinItAll is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLASH1296 View Post

I am so old, that when I first stepped foot in Nevada I was pleased
to discover that I was always addressed as "Mister __" with the __
being the first letter of my last name.

That was actually part of the casino sub-culture.

It was "as if" everyone was incognito, and loving it.

I liked it, and I believe that nearly everyone else did as well.


That was always a part of the allure of 'old Vegas'. What the hell happened? Could leaders of organized crime have been THAT much smarter than corporate America?

No answer required, as it's obvious that at the service level, they 'got it'. It's almost depressing that our country is now led/run by buffoons.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:25 PM.


Forum Software vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2011 Bayview Strategies LLC