Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Old June 9th, 2011, 07:25 AM

Default Tips to remembering ace key cards?

Had my first live attempts at ace sequencing recently. I quickly found that I struggle to remember both the count and the key cards at the same time. The one time that I noticed 3 "super" key cards (followed by consecutive aces), I focused so closely on them that I completely forgot the count. And while looking for the key cards in the next shoe, I was again unable to keep the count. (The bright side was that the 3 key cards stayed together, followed by another card and then the 2 aces.)

Anybody have any tips/tricks for remembering the key cards along with the count?
Old June 9th, 2011, 07:57 AM
Executive Member

I know of no one who counts while ace-tracking.
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:34 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
If you just Ace-track, then you're just flat betting until the key cards come and and then really jump your bet a lot? Isn't that even more obvious than just counting where you usually have to ramp your bets up (somewhat) gradually? What kind of spread is required for getting an advantage at keying?
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:40 AM

i try flat bet for long time , waiting for the ace to a large spread , but its really odd, if u do counting with ace track , it will be less obvious
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Executive Member

If you can keep side counts that are constantly changing, how hard is it to remember static cards while counting? I know people that do it but never asked them how. I never thought it would be hard. I assume these people use the info to maximize the ace adjustment when determining the TC for bet sizing. This is only an educated guess though.
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:14 AM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucker View Post
Believe me, with KO it can be done, but it's also good to have an easy system to record key cards, using just what you have with you-- fingers, legs, chips, pocket change, cigarettes, lighter, drink, bs card, keys, etc., etc. I am not suggesting systems that the "eye" can easily decipher, so you'll have to take it from here. Also, memory tricks using word sounds can be used as suggested in any book promising to improve your memory can explain.
Old June 9th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Executive Member

The one guy I remember mentioning ace tracking keys talked about tracking a packet of aces. He said he knew where to expect them and used the first ace in the right area of the shoe as the key card. That shouldnt be hard to remember.
Old June 9th, 2011, 10:33 AM

Default Try outrageous mnemonics

I have no experience at this, but some players use outrageous/obscene words to represent the number and suit of a card. The 7 of diamonds is "sled", the 6 of hearts is "shirt", and the 4 of clubs is "f__k".

EDIT: I don't track, but when I get around to it, I'll try what's outlined at this page - scroll down to "Memorizing Specific Cards", and this page for the phonetic equivalents of numbers.

So, since four has the phonetic equivalent (see the second link) "R", you would use "car/hair/sewer/door" for the four different sorts of 4s.

Last edited by Friendo; June 9th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the tips. KO/TKO is the counting system I use, and it did seem possible to keep count & key cards. I'm just not there yet.

I like the idea of nicknames for all the cards, I may try that or something similar. If anyone has any other ideas, please share. Thanks.
Old June 9th, 2011, 11:06 AM
ChemMeister

As sucker mentioned I don't know of any person that counts and sequences the aces. It is pretty difficult if you trying to memorize 3-4 sequences...
In any case if you really want to count cards, you might be better off zone tracking the shuffle instead, since a good number of sequenceable shuffles are also trackable. I should also mention that zone tracking could be sometimes more profitbale than sequencing and also provide better intrinsic cover.