Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Old September 17th, 2011, 10:04 PM
Executive Member

Default S&P 1500 High-Yield Dividend Aristocrats

I've been looking for the best place to keep my money safe and growing in this economic disaster. I really don't know a lot about the stock market but the S&P 1500 High-Yield Dividend Aristocrats looks like the best thing I have seen in my search. I know there are some here who feel much more confident in their expertise in investing than I do. I was wondering what they thought of them.

http://www.fool.com/investing/divide...istocrats.aspx

They seem to fit surviving the down turn as well as switching to less risky investing as you approach retirement along with income for those that are retired.
Old September 18th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tthree View Post
I've been looking for the best place to keep my money safe and growing in this economic disaster. I really don't know a lot about the stock market but the S&P 1500 High-Yield Dividend Aristocrats looks like the best thing I have seen in my search. I know there are some here who feel much more confident in their expertise in investing than I do. I was wondering what they thought of them.

http://www.fool.com/investing/divide...istocrats.aspx

They seem to fit surviving the down turn as well as switching to less risky investing as you approach retirement along with income for those that are retired.
Don't forget! >>

Old September 27th, 2011, 02:07 PM
Executive Member

I think utility stocks are probably the best safe investment right now. I'm currently in AEE.
Old September 27th, 2011, 02:09 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moo321 View Post
I think utility stocks are probably the best safe investment right now. I'm currently in AEE.
Cash does not look all that bad either.
Old September 29th, 2011, 03:27 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Well, yeah, if you don't want risk. But if you want some return, utility stocks will be there till Christ returns.
Old September 29th, 2011, 05:21 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
Quote:
Well, yeah, if you don't want risk. But if you want some return, utility stocks will be there till Christ returns.
You guys don't know sh*t from shinola! zg
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:33 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
That guy who predicts economic events and tries to get people to sign up to his expensive newsletter was talking about another stock market downturn. He promises to advise those who pay his fee what to invest in when stocks in general are going down. I take it to mean that he has identified some stocks that do very well in a bear market. Was he talking about utilities, or some other stock investment? I had the impression he was not talking about gold.

PS-- I checked my source and his name is Michael Lombardi, if that is any help. Here is the link if it works see this new video here now. I don't know if posting this link violates any rule here, but I definitely am not trying to advertise for this guy and will be glad to erase it if it is inappropriate. I just thought you trader-wise guys might know the scoop on this guy.

Last edited by aslan; September 29th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Old September 29th, 2011, 07:44 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengrifter View Post
You guys don't know sh*t from shinola! zg
That's that waxy stuff you shine your shoes with, right??? I saw your next door neighbor shining the doorknobs and knocker on your front door, and also the door handles on your car. Nice neighbor. If you leave your shoes outside you door at night, I'll bet he will shine them, too. Priceless. But that other stuff, shinola, I don't know what it's good for.
Old September 29th, 2011, 10:52 PM
Executive Member

Default Lost puppies

Silver and gold, go long on it... DUH!!!! The S&P500 has lost 11% overall since 2008. Oh BOY!!!! What a great place to stash my money!?! Think again!!! Select individual stocks can make money but you have to put a full time effort into managing it, otherwise you will have situation a la Enron where stock looks great, we cook the books, the CEO and a few of his select cronies write themselves millions in bonuses and... OOPS! Something happened, something went wrong, we don't know but you're paying for it.

Any time I have entrusted MY money with someone else in my life without my direct control, they have quite often screwed it up. Silver and gold have slid down to bottoming out before starting to ascend again. Never too late to start looking out for yourself and stop paying part of some nit wit's bonus while you LOSE! I lost about $4000.00 for the month of September. "Oh my gosh! How did you do that? From playing blackjack?" ---Nope! It's because I helped pay some sh*tbag CEO's bonus from all I can tell! Thankfully blackjack went well to help compensate for it all. Wait a sec here... I thought blackjack was supposed to be the "high risk" investment???

Two people in 2007, one puts $1000.00 into gold and silver bullion, the other puts $1000.00 into the stock market, something "hands free" such as Oppenheimer mutual funds... which one do you think is better off right now in 2011 four years later? In 2001 there was a big slam then they got the "7 year itch" and BAMMO in 2008! It's been a trail of total dog poop ever since!

Of course the CEO's have slid off millions into Swiss accounts, Cayman Islands accounts, etc. and are covered no matter what but you are left in the cold. You have been totally screwed and so now you are thinking of pumping more money into it all? Go long with silver and gold and be careful with how much money you put into Wall St. We can carry the experiment even farther if you like. You stoke up cash on Wall St. and I will go long on silver and gold and let's see where we are sitting in 10 years or so!

Last edited by Tarzan; September 29th, 2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:22 PM

Default Geez...

Learning to invest is not as easy as AP, imho. It's been
one of my hobbies for 20 yrs. or so. I'm still learning.

You can get suggestions from the Fools, or Cramer, ZG etc.
but in the end YOU have to decide where to put the $.

There is a lot of investing advice out there, but it's just
someone's opinion, and we all know about opinions.

You have to decide if you are a day trader, swing trader
or a long term investor. What do you want to invest in?
Stocks, bonds(corporate or gov't?), commodities, real estate,
art, options... Many people end up investing in something
they are near experts at, or related to their career.

I'd suggest reading some books, as I do when a novice comes
to this board.

The markets have been in turmoil these past few years. The
banksters and gov't lent $Trillions to people that couldn't
afford the loans and now we're all paying for it. Investments
that were safe for decades, like banks and real estate, now
suck. Maybe if you Google "Widows and Orphans" you may find
some of the current 'safe' investments. I should try that, too!

I suspect the Fools list you linked to has some decent dividend
stocks to try. And the market is currently trending down, so
you might get a bargain, yielding a dividend AND some capital
gains.

Whatever you do, don't put all of your money in one stock.
Diversify, so even if one company fails, the others may offset
the loss. Mutual Funds are good for diversification and for
beginner investors.

Also, consider how long it will be until you need the money.
Don't buy a house of you need the money in six months.
You get the idea.

JMHO, emphasis on OPINION!

BJinNJ