Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

  #21  
Old October 8th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Jack_Black's Avatar
Jack_Black Jack_Black is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
Mr. _Black, you're getting way too bent out of shape about this. As already pointed out, all the needed info is readily available on a popular web site.

Also, OCP is a brutal game due to its high variance. Many who primarily HC avoid the game like the plague. One HCer I know refers to playing OCP as gambling. Unless you play a ton of it or have a team playing so you get a lot of play, I believe he's right.
Brilliant. as if one popular site having the info isn't enough, let's make it two popular sites. Not to say that Ocp is my favorite game, but it's to say that I prefer not helping casinos protect their games.

some variance figures:

OCP 2.89
UTH 23.12
JOB 19.5
FPDW 25.8
FPDDB 45.58

so only OCP is considered gambling huh?
  #22  
Old October 8th, 2011, 01:04 PM
21forme 21forme is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
OCP 2.89
UTH 23.12
JOB 19.5
FPDW 25.8
FPDDB 45.58

so only OCP is considered gambling huh?
Don't know where you got that number, but I believe it's WAAAAY off.
  #23  
Old October 8th, 2011, 07:32 PM
PonyPrincess PonyPrincess is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 59
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
Brilliant. as if one popular site having the info isn't enough, let's make it two popular sites. Not to say that Ocp is my favorite game, but it's to say that I prefer not helping casinos protect their games.

some variance figures:

OCP 2.89
UTH 23.12
JOB 19.5
FPDW 25.8
FPDDB 45.58

so only OCP is considered gambling huh?
A big difference is I could play 1200 hands of vp an hour for 20hrs, if I had to. I agree with Jack_Black though but also realistically you could find more than what's posted here just by searching old threads.
  #24  
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:29 PM
mjbballar23 mjbballar23 is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
Brilliant. as if one popular site having the info isn't enough, let's make it two popular sites. Not to say that Ocp is my favorite game, but it's to say that I prefer not helping casinos protect their games.

some variance figures:

OCP 2.89
UTH 23.12
JOB 19.5
FPDW 25.8
FPDDB 45.58

so only OCP is considered gambling huh?
Jack_Black

someday i hope you can look back on this post and realize how silly it is.

You seem to have some sort of infatuation with ocp. When longevity is not taken into account, i pretty much consider it on the same level of a good counting game. Throw in some errors, full table, and any time played on relief and your looking at a pretty shitastic game.
  #25  
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:47 PM
Jack_Black's Avatar
Jack_Black Jack_Black is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21forme View Post
Don't know where you got that number, but I believe it's WAAAAY off.
WHY do you always assume I'm wrong? For the past year that I've known you, you just always assume I must be wrong. If you believe it's WAAAAY off, then why aren't you proving me wrong with formulas and/or citations? You just BELIEVE I'm wrong and so it must be true?

Where do you think I got these numbers? Do you think I spend my time reading John Patrick's books?

You have the book I'm using, look it up.
  #26  
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:53 PM
Jack_Black's Avatar
Jack_Black Jack_Black is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbballar23 View Post
Jack_Black

someday i hope you can look back on this post and realize how silly it is.

You seem to have some sort of infatuation with ocp. When longevity is not taken into account, i pretty much consider it on the same level of a good counting game. Throw in some errors, full table, and any time played on relief and your looking at a pretty shitastic game.
Did I not start with a disclaimer on how it is NOT my favorite game? Did I not state that I prefer to protect a satisfactory game from the eyes of casino personnel?

I don't make errors, I don't play at full tables, and I don't play relief dealers. But then again, I have a pretty solid place with tons of "good" dealers and no heat. Scouting pays.

Last edited by Jack_Black; October 8th, 2011 at 11:15 PM.
  #27  
Old October 9th, 2011, 08:43 AM
21forme 21forme is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
WHY do you always assume I'm wrong? For the past year that I've known you, you just always assume I must be wrong. If you believe it's WAAAAY off, then why aren't you proving me wrong with formulas and/or citations? You just BELIEVE I'm wrong and so it must be true?

Where do you think I got these numbers? Do you think I spend my time reading John Patrick's books?

You have the book I'm using, look it up.
First, calm down. Second, I don't always assume you're wrong.

It's simply I have more experience at this than you do. As I've told you, I've had OCP sessions where I lost 20 ante bets in 5 minutes and others where I've won 70 ante bets in 25 minutes. Another difference between the games you've listed those numbers is one tends to bet considerably more at OCP than VP or UTH. You don't play a $25 or $50 JoB machine, do you?

Go back to The Book and read from p 336 forward, particularly the section on p 337 labeled "Variance dangerous."

I know you've pretty much stopped playing BJ, looking for better and/or lower variance opportunities. I prefer to count at BJ than HC at OCP.
  #28  
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:47 AM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 490
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
Brilliant. as if one popular site having the info isn't enough, let's make it two popular sites. Not to say that Ocp is my favorite game, but it's to say that I prefer not helping casinos protect their games.

some variance figures:

OCP 2.89
UTH 23.12
JOB 19.5
FPDW 25.8
FPDDB 45.58

so only OCP is considered gambling huh?
I believe the variance in OCP is actually 3.0336. It is not fair to draw the conclusions you are trying to by only looking at variance because the EV is not the same for all of these games. A decent UTH game may have much higher variance, but it more than makes up for the high variance in a number of ways, one of them being EV.

Spaw
  #29  
Old October 9th, 2011, 09:54 AM
mjbballar23 mjbballar23 is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 541
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_Black View Post
Did I not start with a disclaimer on how it is NOT my favorite game? Did I not state that I prefer to protect a satisfactory game from the eyes of casino personnel?

I don't make errors, I don't play at full tables, and I don't play relief dealers. But then again, I have a pretty solid place with tons of "good" dealers and no heat. Scouting pays.
ok thats fine. But do you realize why you cannot use variance numbers on their own to compare different games?

Also the guy that says OCP is gambling would likely also say that the rest of those games you listed are also gambling, with some exceptions...
  #30  
Old October 9th, 2011, 02:29 PM
Jack_Black's Avatar
Jack_Black Jack_Black is offline
Executive Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 1,047
Default

21: Do you not think that I've lost that much? I've been in the hole by 120 units, and a majority of it was from a 1 hour session. But I've also lost 600 units 3x in BJ.

Why are you comparing variance in games if you're not going to have the same unit size? Of course 3cp will technically have bigger variance if your unit size is bigger. But if you compare them with the same unit size, now take a look at the variance. Also, take a look at BR requirements on say, FPDW vs 3cp for 3% ROR. Huge difference, is an understatement. 5645 units for FPDW, 29693 units for FPDDB and ______ for 3cp.

Southpaw: can you try and pay attention when you read before responding? first of all 2.89 is A correct number, look at it again. besides, do you think 3.03 is big difference?

The argument started on the basis of ONLY variance. 21forme claimed that variance is the reason why APs avoid this game. No other values were mentioned. But any dolt can figure out that edge is a key factor!

MJ: The guy basically considers anything with less then 10% edge to be gambling, which is kinda true. This includes counting and certain promos. if that's his deal, then that's his deal. I prefer to put games on a hierarchy of preference, playing the best I can first, then working my way down.

I'm not gonna respond on this thread anymore. I completely disagree with the idea of posting any kind of helpful info for casinos.

Last edited by Jack_Black; October 9th, 2011 at 03:28 PM.
 

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Forum Software vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2011 Bayview Strategies LLC