Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Go Back   Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com > Blackjack Forums > Blackjack - Stories

Old November 23rd, 2011, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
Wow...I think we need some modicum of reason here..I wouldn't stop my car to pull over and take a steamy **** on 110 units WIN OR LOSS.

WTF?

What's the big deal here?

I am on the low end of the high roller spectrum and can tell you that overwhelmingly, probably 75% of my sessions thru October 2011 lifetime are either + or - AT LEAST 150 units.

110 units is a joke win or lose.

If you can't handle a win or loss of this VERY SMALL INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT please do yourself a favor and QUIT NOW
Depends what your definition of a unit is and how long your sessions are as to whether 50,100 or even 1000 units is a large swing.

Now **** off you miserable snidy ****.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:14 AM
Executive Member

Default to much talk of unit size around here

A unit is your base bet, often table min.

I have to admit my unit is small.
But
Huge with a spread
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
Wow...I think we need some modicum of reason here..I wouldn't stop my car to pull over and take a steamy **** on 110 units WIN OR LOSS.

WTF?

What's the big deal here?

Some good points LR, but you need to change your frame of reference for a minute and think back to the FIRST time you won or lost 100 units in a session........I'm sure iit felt like a BIG DEAL to you either way. If you say "no", you are lying. How about the FIRST time you won or lost 200 units? I'm sure that felt like a BIG DEAL too. If it hasn't happened yet, then it will feel like a BIG DEAL the FIRST time you win or lose 1000 units in a single session. Yet, some BigPlayer out there may tell you "that's no big deal", as it happens to him all the time and he wouldn't even "pull his car over to take a steamy **** on 1000 units."

The point is.....these things are all relative to experience. Example.....In my case, a 112 unit loss was not the largest in terms of number of units but it was the largest swing since I doubled my unit size, so the dollar value was by far the largest. Also, in the two weeks since I felt like I got hammered for that loss, I had the following sessions: -61 units, +104 units, +27 units, -29 units, -41 units, -46 units, +120 units, -85 units, +135 units.

Now that initial swing doesn't seem so much a BIG DEAL to me anymore. Learning how to fight through the emotional swings that inevitably come with the volatility of any investment is part of the growth process. It doesn't mean someone needs to quit. It means they need to learn from it and move on.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 09:46 AM
Executive Member

Default volatility or

A cute little name for variance?

One does not have the variance & emotional swings if they bet fractional kelly!

Kelly, 50% chance losing half bank
1/4 Kelly, .08% chance

One can dominate variance
Old November 23rd, 2011, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack avenger View Post
A unit is your base bet, often table min.

I have to admit my unit is small.
But
Huge with a spread
I take a unit as the largest minimum for my bankroll, eg with 10000 I could afford a 10 minimum, this is what I take as my 'unit'.

With a 5 minimum I will bet my spread based on that, in order to keep RoR down (and heat). I haven't tried spreading 1-100 yet but I can't imagine it going down to well...
Old November 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack avenger View Post
1/4 Kelly, .08% chance
I am seriously considering dropping from 1/2 Kelly to 1/4 kelly.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PierceNation View Post
I am seriously considering dropping from 1/2 Kelly to 1/4 kelly.
I am right there with you, but I don't want to take a 50% pay cut! Have been shooting for somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 recently.
Old November 23rd, 2011, 06:24 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
I am right there with you, but I don't want to take a 50% pay cut! Have been shooting for somewhere between 1/2 and 1/4 recently.
I have been 'dropping' to a smaller fraction of kelly over the past couple years, but I have 'dropped' by not increasing my betting levels as my bankroll grew, rather than taking a cut.