Blackjack and Card Counting Forums - BlackjackInfo.com

Old December 1st, 2011, 02:38 PM
Executive Member

Default New cfl lightbulbs?

I just bought a pack of these lightbulbs and my goodness are they horrible. Granted I'm going blind but these lightbulbs are horrible and do not give off the light comprobable incandescant bulbs do. What a stinking ripoff.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM

I hear you. That's why I am hoarding incandescent bulbs. I just had a CFL burn out. I don't know whether to toss it in the garbage can or call a hazmat team to get it out of my house.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:46 PM
Executive Member

Default Geez!

I didn't know what the stink was about and thought I'd try them on a trial basis. I guess I'm going to have to invent a energy efficient lightbulb that gives off more lumenes then these junk ones.
Old December 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackchipjim View Post
I didn't know what the stink was about and thought I'd try them on a trial basis. I guess I'm going to have to invent a energy efficient lightbulb that gives off more lumenes then these junk ones.
I've noticed these bulbs burn brighter the longer you leave them on. I have some in my backyard and sometimes I have to check if they are even on when I flip the switch. A half hour later they are burning as bright as a regular bulb.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:03 PM

Definitely get better after a few minutes.

I would also avoid buying the cheapest ones you can find. These bulbs still vary in quality, even considering how much better they are than they were a few years ago.
Old December 1st, 2011, 03:04 PM
Executive Member

Default dim ones?

Funny I bought them to try on my outside lights and they seem to be ok outside. I want to see the bulb life to see if they last longer or are more durable then the conventional.
Old December 1st, 2011, 04:41 PM

Default Funny Coincedence

We just had a conversation at work today about CFLs. The primary gripe about them is that they take a couple of minute to come up to full brightness like any flourescent bulb. However, apparently the technology is evolving and there are now models that claim to instantly come to full brightness. I am sure they cost more. Another low energy alternative to CFL is LED. We have put several of these in our house recently and I really like them. They are more expensive, but the life should be even longer than CFL. With incandescents soon becoming extinct per federal law, we will have to find alternatives. I assume in several years, the technology will be well tweaked and it will be a non issue.
Old December 1st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Executive Member

Default Black market bulbs

How long do you think it will take for smuggling in incandescent bulbs from free countries to satisfy peoples desire to see in the dark without hurting their eyes. I use cfls in all the lights I always leave on or don't see regularly enough to realize I left them on in a reasonable amount of time. My old eye can't read under these lights. Maybe being blind in one handicaps me here but how will we read once the ban has drained all the supply of good sources of light. I guess the youngsters will still be able to read but earlier eye problems will no doubt be a side affect.
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:17 PM
Executive Member

You will be able to buy them...Remember freon being banned?? Yes you can still buy regular freon, plus the 134 stuff, plus propane stuff etc, etc,
Let's not get carried away, now gunpowder, primers, and lead that's a whole nuther story....stockpile that stuff I say!
Machinist
Old December 1st, 2011, 06:28 PM
Executive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinist View Post
You will be able to buy them...Remember freon being banned?? Yes you can still buy regular freon, plus the 134 stuff, plus propane stuff etc, etc,
Let's not get carried away, now gunpowder, primers, and lead that's a whole nuther story....stockpile that stuff I say!
Machinist
Don't worry I keep plenty of that in store just in case of an emergency. You should save lots of brass and own a reloader as well.