European No-Hole Card Rule

Hi everybody. Its my first post here....

I have always been a fan of this page, ever since i started playing BJ a few years ago. Since then, I have mastered basic strategy and I am quite proficient counting cards (even though I only use basic hi-lo system). Needless to say, I win most of the time ;)

Blackjackinfo.com has been a big influence in my success so I wanted to show my appreciation, so thanks for keeping up this great work.

Now, since I know this forum gets quick replies, I want to ask a question on this not so popular european rule....

It is said that the rule is not favorable only because the dealer takes splits and double downs right? Well, what if the dealer takes the "Original bet only"?? If so, one would think that the "no-hole card" does not make any sort of difference....

So, my big question is.... If one plays third base with the OBO rule; Are there no variations in basic strategy???

I have always thought that it does not make a difference, but lately i've been having some doubts. I will probably calculate that myself eventually, but I wanted to see if anyone can give me a good concrete reply before I start working on it.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Short answer: It doesn't matter whether the dealer takes a hole card or not. What does matter is how they treat doubles and splits if the dealer makes blackjack.

As long as you are playing an "OBO" game, where they collect Original Bets Only when the dealer gets a blackjack, you shouldn't care whether the dealer gets a hole card before the players play, or after.