About %-iges and card counting systems

Mackhack

Hi,

it might sound like a stupid kindergarden question for some of you guys but I would like to know how people who invent counting systems can tell that a certain card is more worth than another card and if a 5 is played already and gone for the rest of the shoe/deck that it has an impact of x.xx %!

Could anybody tell and explain this to me? I'm really interested in this math/science stuff around card counting!

Thank you so much!

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Basically, card counting systems all use the idea of 'effect of removal' or EOR of a particular card. To calculate the EOR, it's a straightforward idea, though implementation is complex.

Calculate the 'off-the-top' house edge on the game. Take out a single 5. Calculate the house edge on the game. The difference is the EOR for a 5.

Mackhack

Hi Ken,

and how can I calculate the house edge of the game? Don't missunderstand me, I don't wanna create another system, it is just my interest in this stuff!

BJStanko

Probability Probability

Yes it works!

Math is right! I used to hate math, now I love it!

I would recommend you to buy "The theory of blackjack" by P. Griffin
Also there is great web site http://www.bjmath.com (Archive copy)

The math behind it is very simple, but very tidious if you do calculations by hand. Insted easier way to go is simulation. Program written for any set of rules of bj game.

You can by for about $150 Statistical BJ analyzer! Program is the most powerful these days. It does everything for you. Do not bother trying to do calculations your self. Let's say it is complet waste of time. All counting systems are developed thanks to simulations. It is more correct to say that all counting systems are proven to work thanks to computer simulations.