Horse racing.

ScottH

I'm going to the horse racing track for the first time. What would be my best way to bet not knowing anything about the horses. I'm sure I will have to play at a disadvantage, but what is my best way to play if I am clueless to the finer points of horse racing?

SystemsTrader

If you are just going for fun don't overbet. Avoid the total long shots, they are lousy horses for a reason. Also don't bet an overwelming favorite, there is no point in making .10c for every $2 you put down. Same thing if you are going to be betting for a horse to show(place third). Bet on horses that will pay you back a decent return and at least have a shot at winning. As for handicapping look for horses that have finished well in their last few races and have run recently like once a week for the past few weeks

nc-tom

Horses

I am no expert but the advise above not to overbet is a good start. One thing I do know is that 73% of all winners go off at between 2-1 and 12-1 so that might help you with stradigy.Had an oldtimer once who told me" check the horses between 2-1 and 12-1 on the morning line. Bet the horse that moves up from the ML by 1/3 its price and then before the race starts drops by 1/2 from its high odds"Has helped me some in smaller field allowence races. Also might check on posts on this site by Traynor he seems like he is on top of the horse racing sceen.LOL

traynor

Response

zengrifter said:
Traynor, you should respond to this! zg
Belmont Race 3
#1 BabyBird WON $8.60
#3 SugarShake PLACE 1-3 EXACTA $19.80
#6 HeavenlyPsalm SHOW 1-3-6 TRIFECTA $68.00

Check the Belmont thread. This is like free money, just waiting to be picked up. We do 8-10 tracks a day, and this is actually a fairly modest return. We often do MUCH better.
Good Luck