Spreading, variance and bet ramp

hopson77

I read somewhere (sorry no link) that in certain counts it is wise to spread to 2 or more hands with less than one's usual bet at that count (say if at TC=3 you'd bet 6u, you'd spread to 2x4u). I know that this increases your expected value, but does not increase your variance. Can anyone help with the math involved here?

Also, I'm trying to refine my bet ramp for a 1:12 spread. I'm looking at something like this:

Count <-1 : Wong out
-1<count<1: bet 1 unit
Count >+1: bet 2 x Count units (e.g. count =+4: bet 8 units)
Max bet = 12 units

If/when I spread to multiple hands, what would be an acceptable change to the above bet ramp. Moreover, will this bet ramp work?

Sonny

If you are spreading to two hands then you will want to bet about 75% of your normal bet on each hand for a total of 150% of your usual bet. If you spread to three hands you can bet 50% on each hand. See the link below for the math involved:

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showthread.php?t=3069

The bet spread you have looks fine. A 1-12 spread with aggressive Wonging will be very profitable.

-Sonny-

hopson77

Thanks for the link, Sonny. The article I read mentioned those specific percentages, but it didn't look like a credible source. Seeing the math behind it, it makes perfect sense. I've still got that secret society thing, btw. :)