The Best Poker Books?

Hi,

I'd appreciate your thoughts on which are some good poker books to buy. Personally my fav BJ book is BJ Bluebook II. Could someone tell me some poker books which are written in the same style and depth? I've played poker before and am not a complete beginner but all I know are the rules and the rank of the hands. I've done well playing poker 'cause usually fold unless I have something worth playing but I really want to learn the "Basic Strategy" of the game.

I'm thinking of buying "Winning Low-Limit Hold'em" by Lee Jones. Is that any good? Can anyone recommend something better?

Thanks,

Sophocles

ScottH

My recomendations would be Championship No Limit and Pot Limit Hold em(something like that) by TJ Cloutier and Harrington on Hold em. Those books are really easy to read, unlike anything by Sklanksy. TJ Cloutier explains good poker and doesnt go into much math. After you learn the basics you can move on to the more technical books, that are also more boring.

Thanks

Thanks guys for recommendations.

I've purchased Winning Low-Limit Hold'em and Middle Limit Holdem Poker. When I'm done with those I'll check out some of ur recommendations.

I like the idea of advancing into poker 'cause there are so few opportunities for blackjack in my area.

Thanks,

Sophocles

ortango

Recently Arnold Snyder, who we all know is a BJ legend wrote the Poker Tournament Formula. It is amazing how much he knows about poker with all the BJ floating around in his brain. I have found it extremely powerful for fast tournaments. One of the things he makes very obvious is that one strategy does not even remotely fit the other. For example, cash play and tournament play, and slow tournament and fast tournament play. I am a poker rookie but I can say I am very confident with fast tournament play after reading his book.

Sites, Playrooms?

Are there any really good websites that I should definitely check out on poker? I've found quite a few but nothing spectacular.

Do you guys play online? Any recommended sites to play or are all the sites the same thing? I hear most people like http://www.partypoker.com

Do you guys use odds calculators or similar software? What's ur opinion of them?

Thanks for all the help and advice!

Sophocles

PokerJunky

Partypoker.com doesn't allow US players to play in real money games after the new law passed by Congress. I currently play on Pokerstars.com and like the site. It has any game or limit you're looking for and has increased in players since the closing of Partypoker.

As for the software, I do not use any but have read up on them. Basically, it can be helpful in a limit game because it is much more mechanical. For no limit it is much less useful. You should learn how to calculate pot odds on your own. Just google "calculating poker odds" and you'll find a bunch of site that show you how.

good luck.

PartyPoker

Is PartyPoker dead? I'm wondering what will happen to these websites now that US players are leaving them...

A friend of mine in the US who played for ages but withdrew his account now told me to head there to start with 'cause thats where most of the amateurs are.

There are so many websites now. I'll look into PokerStars. Thanks!

ScottH

Snowman75 said:
Is PartyPoker dead? I'm wondering what will happen to these websites now that US players are leaving them...

A friend of mine in the US who played for ages but withdrew his account now told me to head there to start with 'cause thats where most of the amateurs are.

There are so many websites now. I'll look into PokerStars. Thanks!
I'm still surpries that PartyPoker got scared and left the US so quick. Nothing has changed in the online gambling world due to the legislation. Online gaming is still pretty much as strong as it always was. It was basically a bill without teeth, which is actually good for online gaming. We'll see if they start to enforce it in the future, but I don't think they will be able to successfully.

Preston

Poker Books

Super System II is pretty good read to help with poker. It's very throrough and covers all the forms of poker that are popular right now.

A few other decent books are The Real Deal by (I think) Phil Gordon..

but the best teacher is actually being at the tables..

Party Poker deserves to go bankrupt for chicken shitting out in the US market. Full Tilt, Poker STars, and my personal favorite Bodog all accept US Players. Bodog is really good because you get a 10% bonus each time you deposit. Full Tilt offers 100% HOWEVER it takes FOREVER to work it off.

Avoid Fulcontactpoker. I have been waiting 2 weeks for a cashout now and I'm starting to get impatient.

Start with low limit stakes just to get the game down. and please for the love of god realize that A 7 offsuit is not a raising hand.

Practice and no limit

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm almost done reading Winning Low Limit Hold'em (which is fantastic) and have in line the Harrington books. Started reading that too which is also awesome.

I got Multiplayer Championship Poker for my cell phone. There is a free PC game too. Go to (Dead link: http://www.realdice.com) You can play against other people on the internet or via cell phone. Also on the phone u can play single player and form a career playing in tournaments. As u win tournaments u make more cash and can take part in harder more expensive tournaments. I've played with online opponents but I didn't find it much of a challenge since if u play tight u can easily beat more of these people who raise on trash. So I'm practicing away on my cell before going live online.

While in the beginning I was thinking about playing low limit, I'm now thinking about play no limit games with small buyins ($5). It would be great experience and cost is so low. Any comments on small stakes no limit? Would appreciate ur comments. Have a happy new year!

for low-limit players, as most of the rookie would be, i think the book by lee jones is more suitable.

books by harrington is specially for no-limit tournament
while the book by lee jones is mainly for low-limit fixed-limit cash game
doyle's super system has both limit and no limit texas, and is considered as bible of poker. but if we play in low-limit games likes 3-6 fixed limit and 1-2 no limit, we would need to adjust a bit.