Three Card 16

EasyRhino

Few different rules of thumb I've seen, all because the hit/stand decision on 16 vs 10 is so damn fine.

- If you get multicard 16 vs 10, stand instead of hit.

- If you get a 16 vs 10 that involves a 4 or 5, stand instead of hit.

- If you get a multicard 16 vs 10 and you see more 5s than 6s on the table, stand instead of hit.

As far as I know, these only apply vs a dealer 10.

Personally, I prefer surrendering.

ThunderWalk

grmpyolmn said:
I have seen in a few posts something about a 3 card 16 rule. Does anyone know about this and can you explain it to me. Thanks in advance.
I located the following which might be of interest. I had nothing to do with it.

(Dead link: http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:En146eISVwgJ:www.usc.edu/CSSF/Current/Projects/J1211.pdf+3+card+16&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1)

Objectives/Goals
The objective is to determine if it is reasonable in Blackjack to act differently with a 2-card 16 than with a 3-card 16 against a dealers 10. I think it is reasonable to say that the 3-card 16 has a higher chance of going bust.

Methods/Materials
I calculated the probabilities of drawing all possible cards for all possible combinations of 2-card 16s and 3-card 16s. I used Microsoft Excel to organize the probabilities and I used a standard 52-card deck to better understand the probabilities.

Results
The probability of going bust with a 3-card 16 against a dealers 10 is 61.43%. The probability of going bust with a 2-card 16 is only 59.18%.

Conclusions/Discussion
My conclusion is that it is reasonable to draw to a 2-card 16, but stick on a 3-card 16 against a dealers 10. This conclusion agrees with the single author who made a distinction between the two cases, and disagrees with all the authors who recommended drawing in all cases.

The probabilities of going bust in Blackjack with a 2-card 16 and a 3-card 16 against a dealers 10 were calculated and compared to see if it is reasonable to draw to a 2-card 16, but stick on a 3-card 16.

sagefr0g

ScottH said:
If you're counting you dont use this rule at all.
essentially true. in my case i sometimes lose the count but if i know the remaining pack is positive i'll continue play for a while and fall back on such lower priorities.
also i may use them when the true is zero.