Bending Cards

Preston

Recently while playing at a table a ploppy accidentally bent the corner of one of his cards. The dealer saw the bend and called the pit over and the pit got a replacement card for the one that was taken out. They kept dealing out while the pit went to get the replacement however. The card was a 10.

But would it make a big difference to bend the corner of the small cards (like a 5) so the pit will remove it from the deck to get a replacement? It may only be temporary but would it make a difference?

shadroch

Where was this? On the rare occasion I've seen a dealer notice a bent card,they introduced all new cards.I thought that was the norm,but i'm only talking three or four cases.As they always seem to crack open sealed decks when replacing cards,wouldn't they now have an unusable deck minus one card?

shadroch

If I was to bend a card,it would be a ten. The chances are that it wouldn't get noticed for awhile and I think it would serve a player better than marking a five.If I was to do it,which of course I wouldn't.

Mikeaber

ER is right unless it's going into a CSM. I've seen pit critters replace damaged cards several times. They just toss it into the discard stacker and it gets shuffled the next time they are shuffled. No advantage or disadvantage since it's already out of play for the current shuffle.

ihate17

I agree with Mike no advantage, but a five is good also

Mikeaber said:
ER is right unless it's going into a CSM. I've seen pit critters replace damaged cards several times. They just toss it into the discard stacker and it gets shuffled the next time they are shuffled. No advantage or disadvantage since it's already out of play for the current shuffle.
If you see the marked card in the dealers hole, 5 or 10, the information is very valuable. Same if you see it at the top or near the top of the cards to be dealt.
Saying this, I must also say, do not mark the cards! That is cheating and in Nevada it is a feloney. Now accidents happen, especially in pitch games but what will happen if you bend several cards the eye and pit might wait to set you up for possible arrest or the pit will come over and tell you, as if it was by accident, not to bend the cards or they will ask you to leave.

ihate17

RJT

Another factor that you might want to consider if you're sitting in first base in a shoe game: If the decks have been in use for some time and the card that gets replaced is a 10 or an A there should be a slight difference in the wear on the side of the cards meaning that cutting that card to the top (aka the first card - or 2nd or 3rd depending on the burn) then becomes and achievable technique.......

RJT.