Spelling question

Just wanted to know why I've seen here (as well as other forums) why everyone spells the words "loose" and "loosing" instead of spelling the words correctly? Is this some superstition about spelling these words? (Notice I didn't spell the words correctly in this post, just in case)! Pretty trivial, but I just wanted to ask.

Mikeaber

Spillin

I just like semi-circles said:
Just wanted to know why I've seen here (as well as other forums) why everyone spells the words "loose" and "loosing" instead of spelling the words correctly? Is this some superstition about spelling these words? (Notice I didn't spell the words correctly in this post, just in case)! Pretty trivial, but I just wanted to ask.
As for me, I'm from Arkansas...what do you expect?:violin:

Canceler

I'm not afraid: Lose! Losing!

I think most people just want to spell it the way it sounds. "Luse" and "luze" just don't seem right to them, so they go with "loose".

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
This used to be one of my pet peeves, and I corrected people about it regularly. It's a losing battle though. I'd guess well over half of the population uses the inaccurate spelling. I gave up!

E-town-guy

I'm supposedly an educated person though I was spelling it incorrectly :(

Even worse spellcheck never corrected me on the matter because it thought I was spelling the word loose, meaning not tight.

Sorry guys I just couldn't refuse :p

Eye half a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.
Eye strike a key and type a word
And weight four it two say
Weather eye am wrong oar write
It shows me strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long
And eye can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Eye have run this poem threw it
I am shore your pleased two no
Its letter perfect awl the weigh
My chequer tolled me sew.

Spelling lessons always appreciated and encouraged!

Pam

Mikeaber

Update

For those of you using IE as your browser, you can download and install ieSpell. It becomes integrated with your Browser and in some applications (such as this forum) there is an ICON that appears in the upper right corner of the "reply" box while you are typing in a response. Google it if you would like to give it a test drive. Freebie!

But for those of us using the latest version of FireFox, there has been no good spell checker that I'm aware of. "Spellbound" was an extension that worked with version 1.0 but would not integrated into 1.5.

(Dead link: http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=4130)

The link above will take you to a site that in turn, will link you to the software and dictionary that you need to install the new "Spellbound".

The first time you enter a message you wish to spell check, after entering the message, right click on with your cursor in the text box and select Spell Check. The first time you do this, you'll need to look at the drop down selection in the lower left corner...drop it down and select English. After that, you'll not need to do that step again. It will highlight words it doesn't recognize and try to give you suggestions on correct spelling.

I just like semi-circles said:
They look correctly spelled to me. The loose grammar common on the internet does not appeal to me either, however loosing admonitions about it rarely helps.