Sharks roam Vegas poker rooms

In Las Vegas, the right poker room
makes you predator, not prey

Sharks roam Sin City's poker houses,
so the key to success is steering clear.

By Marc Cooper,
Special to The LA Times
May 25, 2007

The burnished mahogany, subdued lighting and soothing earth tones of the Golden Nugget's newly remodeled poker room might radiate a warm, club-like vibe, but I was ice cold as I recently bought into one of its No Limit Texas Hold 'Em ring games. While the other players at the table played cautiously against one another, they were relentlessly and collectively aggressive against me. Check-raising me, trapping me, slow-playing me with big pairs, going over the top of my feeble raises and bluffing me right into the ATM machine.

Had I inadvertently plunked down into some sort of conspiracy? Was I the designated sucker of the day? Was the whole world against me?

Yes to all the above. Only after an hour and a half of this galling abuse did it dawn on me that most of the players knew one another. ...

...more - http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-vegas27may27 (Archive copy)

halcyon1234

Hehehe, the article reminds of that old joke about there being a sucker in every room, and if you can't spot him...

zengrifter said:
In Las Vegas, the right poker room
makes you predator, not prey

Sharks roam Sin City's poker houses,
so the key to success is steering clear.

By Marc Cooper,
Special to The LA Times
May 25, 2007

The burnished mahogany, subdued lighting and soothing earth tones of the Golden Nugget's newly remodeled poker room might radiate a warm, club-like vibe, but I was ice cold as I recently bought into one of its No Limit Texas Hold 'Em ring games. While the other players at the table played cautiously against one another, they were relentlessly and collectively aggressive against me. Check-raising me, trapping me, slow-playing me with big pairs, going over the top of my feeble raises and bluffing me right into the ATM machine.

Had I inadvertently plunked down into some sort of conspiracy? Was I the designated sucker of the day? Was the whole world against me?

Yes to all the above. Only after an hour and a half of this galling abuse did it dawn on me that most of the players knew one another. ...

...more - http://travel.latimes.com/articles/la-trw-vegas27may27 (Archive copy)

Brutus

While the other players at the table played cautiously against one another, they were relentlessly and collectively aggressive against me. Check-raising me, trapping me, slow-playing me with big pairs, going over the top of my feeble raises and bluffing me right into the ATM machine.
sounds like a cronic complainer to me. :laugh:

PokerJunky

Pros on the 1-2 table, common man. This guy really is fluffing this stuff up. He sounds like my friend who came w/ me to AC to play some 1-2 NL at the Borgata. He won the 1st two two times and start starting ranting how aweful everyone played and how he's going to come down every weekend w/ me from now on. Three weeks later he lost all his winnings and hasn't gone back since.