Sports Betting

PokerJunky

I recently read a post by Ken Smith suggesting "Smart Money" as a good read. I'm almost done w/ the book and love it. Similiar to "Bringing Down the House", but w/ sports betting.

Is there a good sport's betting forum, similar to blackjacjinfo.com where I can start reading around to get more info. I bet every football season and am roughly a break even every year. Would like to learn more of the "smart money" methods out there. I'm pretty sure people will be tight lipped, but any additional info I receive would be helpful.

thx

ScottH

shadroch said:
lasvegasadvisor.com has a forum run by a guy named named fezzick which
is similar to this.
It's a good forum if you're into sportsbetting. It was a really good source for online bettors, but online sportsbetting is not very good anymore. He does still release picks though...

moo321

If you can bet at pinnacle, sportsbetting is good. Otherwise, it's mediocre. If you're handicapping, just stick to what you know.

ScottH

moo321 said:
If you can bet at pinnacle, sportsbetting is good. Otherwise, it's mediocre. If you're handicapping, just stick to what you know.
Pinnacle is probably the hardest book to beat actually. They have the sharpest lines out of any of them. Also, they don't take US action anymore.

The best book (if you don't mind sticking to low limits) is definitely Bodog. They have the squarest lines around, and they are slow-moving. Plus you get a 10% deposit bonus, every deposit.

I just have to say that I think Pinnacle is tough to beat, hardly anyone does. There lines are just too sharp, and they move fast so you can't take advantage of new information as easily.

PokerJunky

I checked out the website, but it was more informational. I was looking for advanced strategies used by syndicates, professionals, computer programs, or as moo321 stated riskless profit, if possible.

ScottH

PokerJunky said:
I checked out the website, but it was more informational. I was looking for advanced strategies used by syndicates, professionals, computer programs, or as moo321 stated riskless profit, if possible.
Pros never just hand out information, but you can listen to what they have to say.

There is a way at riskless profit, called Arbitrage, but it won't make you that much money really. The oppurtunities for arbitrage exist, but you can't really make a living doing it or anything, or even that much money.

ChefJJ

ScottH said:
There is a way at riskless profit, called Arbitrage, but it won't make you that much money really. The oppurtunities for arbitrage exist, but you can't really make a living doing it or anything, or even that much money.
...and the window of opportunity to cash in on arbitrage is pretty small too.

good luck

traynor

ScottH said:
Pros never just hand out information, but you can listen to what they have to say.

I agree. I learned to play both poker and blackjack from listening to and watching professionals play. I think it is a lot stronger way to learn than to learn all the theories and probabilities first, then try to apply them in the real world.

Best suggestion is to spend a LOT of time lurking on decent forums (like this one) that have great opinions and insights expressed almost casually by the expert players.
Good Luck