Caribbean Stud beatable?

Brock Windsor

Can seeing two of the dealers cards instead of just one make the game beatable?? I would only play once the jackpot had exceded the break even meter, was just curious if I could see two dealer cards (bottom and exposed top card) how close to a push game you could get on the bets or even get a slight edge? Maybe add colluding with another player to the numbers? Im sure Grosjean must cover this in beyond counting if anyone has a copy.
BW

aka23

Brock Windsor said:
Can seeing two of the dealers cards instead of just one make the game beatable?? I would only play once the jackpot had exceded the break even meter, was just curious if I could see two dealer cards (bottom and exposed top card) how close to a push game you could get on the bets or even get a slight edge? Maybe add colluding with another player to the numbers? Im sure Grosjean must cover this in beyond counting if anyone has a copy.
BW
I doubt it. Visible dealer upcards has less impact on stud poker than other table games. Collusion would not have a possible player advantage until you had enough colluding players to know the majority of cards, and even then it might not be enough to gain an advanatge.

What is the paytable for the game?

moo321

Hmm... sound like it might be interesting. If nothing else, it would move the house edge enough that it could be +EV at lower jackpot levels. You could certainly fold any time you saw the dealer had a pair, or an acce or king, and you didn't have anything. And if you saw something like 2-3, you might raise with any hand, hoping the dealer doesn't have AK.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
According to Grosjean in Beyond Counting, knowing two dealer cards drops the house edge from 5.34% down to 1.74%, and requires a messy strategy to accomplish even that. You'll need three cards to make the game playable.

Brock Windsor

Caribbean Paytable

aka23 said:
What is the paytable for the game?
Raise Pay Table
Hand Pays
Royal flush 100 to 1
Straight flush 50 to 1
Four of a kind 20 to 1
Full house 7 to 1
Flush 5 to 1
Straight 4 to 1
Three of a kind 3 to 1
Two pair 2 to 1
All other 1 to 1

Bonus Pay Table
Royal flush 100%
Straight flush 10%
Four of a kind $500
Full house $100
Flush $50

The Breakeven on this meter is 218000. When it got up over 330000 I was tempted to start playing if I could get hole card info. Kens posted numbers that I would still be at a 1.74% disadvantage discourages that idea a bit. Still if there is a simplified strategy for getting close to that 1.74% house edge (Beyond folding pairs when the dealers pair beats yours and folding less than AKJ when the dealer holds an ace and king)

Here is the basic strategy I follow if I hold Ace/King in my hand:
Raise if the dealer's card is a 2 through queen and matches one of yours.
Raise if the dealer's card is an ace or king and you have a queen or jack in your hand.
Raise if the dealer's rank does not match any of yours and you have a queen in your hand and the dealer's card is less than your fourth highest card.

Thanks,
BW