Free OTB voucher - Best use?

halcyon1234

I recently got two "$5 free bet" vouchers for a local sports bar that offers off-track horse race betting.

What's the best use of these two coupons? Bet the "best" horse in both races? Bet the top two in one race?

Having never done OTB before, I have no clue how it all works!

Thanks!

shadroch

I'd bet a long-shot and hope for the best.What they want is for you to bet the favorite to show and hook you into thinking its easy money. Better yet,bet some excotic thing like a pick 4.

ChefJJ

Here's my 2 cents on horse betting. If you are betting for a winner, don't bet on a horse that is up for less than 3:1 odds. Look for a strong horse that gives you good value.

Or better yet...roll like Shadroch says--pick the long shot to win. Why not, right...it's the house's cash on that.

halcyon1234

Yeah, I might just pick one of the longer shots. If otherwise I need to aim for a 2:1, then most I stand to gain is $20 (2 $10 payoffs from "$5" bets). Since it's free money, I'll roll the dice (horses) and try to pick up a couple hundred. =)

Thanks!

ChefJJ

halcyon1234 said:
Yeah, I might just pick one of the longer shots. If otherwise I need to aim for a 2:1, then most I stand to gain is $20 (2 $10 payoffs from "$5" bets). Since it's free money, I'll roll the dice (horses) and try to pick up a couple hundred. =)

Thanks!
Especially if that $5 ticket can be used for a trifecta wheel, where you have a few combinations to play with.

Good luck!