General Progression Discussion

Mikeaber

Betting progressions are not going to go away. It is obvious that regardless of the fact that they provide no mathematical advantage to the player, the lure of larger bets and the player's sense of having more control during play make it inevitable that these methods of money management are going to remain popular.

What I've seen discussed here in the Betting Strategies Forum are 4 types of progressions.
  1. Negative (ex Martingale)
  2. Positive (ex Dahl's)
  3. Hybrids (ex Combination of Negative and Positive based on outcome of sequence)
  4. Bankroll based where incremental bets depend on how much the player is down or how close he is to making a goal of won units.
Have I failed to mention any major categories?

What I've seen stated concerning progressions is that if you are going to use one, you will be somewhat less prone to quick ruin if you go with a Positive progression versus a Negative one.

Actually, you have missed one

If a player doubles up when winning instead of when losing, the resultant martingale is a positive progression. I mentioned this in the previous thread, and it was promptly sloughed off with a vague comment about progressions, and a quick change of subject.