For the fun of it

Kasi

help me how you would analyze the following voo-doo results achieved by only the use of the liklihood of a betting system achieving a goal in a certain number of hands with a bankroll of a certain number of units.

All hands were played with a negative EV that I'm going to guess as, to be conservative, on a weighted average, 0.2% or so.

A guy plays 189,371 hands varying his bet from $1 to $200 anytime he feels like it with the following results. In his mind his unit is his minimum bet of $1.

Splits were counted as 2 hands - maybe not exactly correct but so be it.

8,602 (4.54%) winning BJs
74,397 (39.29%) wins without a BJ
90,209 losses (47.68%)
16,082 ties (8.49%)

Of those 189,371 hands, 16,353 were doubles (8.64%)
of the doubles
9,192 are wins (56.21%)
5,989 are losses (36.62%)
1,172 are ties (7.17%)

As can be determined from the above, he finished 213 flat-units ahead. In other words, if he had flat-bet $1/hand he would have wagered $205,724 and won $213, as luck would have it. Basically somewhere around 1 SD ahead depending on the HA.

In fact, he actually wagered $1,122,155 for an average bet of $5.93.

So, if you want to use that as a flat-bet unit, he would have won 213*$5.93 or $1263.

He actually won $11,978.

Has he now "made-up" 11,765 $1 units allowing him to likely play for 2,000,000 more hands before he reaches EV if, from this point on, he chooses to only bet $1/hand?

Is he only 1808 average-bet units ahead and can only play for a few hundred thousand more hands flat-betting $5.93/hand before likely realizing EV?

Has he reached N0 at this point in a neg EV game?

The results are a blend of many different games with many different rules over many "sessions" with a goal to finish even or a little ahead for each "session". A goal I think many share. Such goal was accomplished 226 times out of 267 (85%). The 41 "losing" sessions vary from a partial loss to a complete loss of starting bankroll.

Just thought it might be interesting to see what anybody thinks of such results - lucky? Not that surprising?

Kasi

mdlbj said:
Not surprising at all.
Thanks for your input. Could you be more specific what is not surprising to you?

While I don't find the assumed flat-bet results at all surprising, I do find it interesting that being up 1808 average bets is over 4 standard deviations and being up 11000+ minimum units is incalculable if one had flat-bet the min all the time.

I guess in effect the results are of a non-counting bet-spreader playing in a negative EV situation.

And if he chose to just bet $1 from here on out, he could probably play another 10,000,000 hands.

Just thought it might possibly indicate just how long "worthless" betting "systems" might be expected to last since to me everyone focuses on the "worthless" part a whole lot more than the chances of still being ahead after so long.

I put systems in quotes because no single system was used throughout play.

But, like you all say, whatever combination of systems that actually were used would ultimately result in a loss of money.

Still, lasting 10,000,000 hands is obviously possible.

And perhaps not even overly surprising.