Trying to understand th Hi-lo system..

Kpx

Hello, I was reading about the Hi Lo system in this forum, but I don't quite understand how a High count is better for the players. Why is it good that high cards come out more often? wouldnt it just give the dealer just as much of a advantage??

Sonny

The advantage is that you have the opportunity to split, double down and get paid 3:2 for a blackjack. That gives the player more chances to make money. Imagine a coin flip where you lose $1 on heads and win $1.50 on tails. It doesn't matter that it's a 50/50 shot, the increased payout makes the game more profitable for you than the other player (dealer).

-Sonny-

Doofus

The biggest advantage that comes when there is an excess of 10s and Aces is that 3/2 payoff for the player's blackjack. Yes, the dealer is also more apt to have a natural 21, but that's only a 1/1 win for the house.

When you remember this fact you can realize just why 6/5 blackjack is so bad for players.

I thought the biggest advantage to a high count is to know when to stand so that if the house is showing a 2-6(preferably a 6), you can force them to bust more. That way, you can modify the basic strategy chart to fit more 10 values.
If you have a really high count, you would then want to split 10's. Whereas with an even count, you never want to split 10's.

la_dee_daa

nck111488 said:
I thought the biggest advantage to a high count is to know when to stand so that if the house is showing a 2-6(preferably a 6), you can force them to bust more. That way, you can modify the basic strategy chart to fit more 10 values.
If you have a really high count, you would then want to split 10's. Whereas with an even count, you never want to split 10's.
this is one of the ways to you get a little more of an advantage making basic strategy divations ( which are called indicies by the way:) ) but the main advantage does come from more then inital even money payouts such as getting a blackjack like sonny said. and your chaces of winning double downs like 11 v 6 goes up to and you get to put more money on the table with the extra 10s and so on.

:cow:

la_dee_daa

EasyRhino said:
"Indices", btw. "Indexes" would also be acceptable.
we know what i ment. I'm just not a great speller/grammer type person... need to get a spell check in this posting box here..

Kasi

la_dee_daa said:
we know what i ment. I'm just not a great speller/grammer type person... need to get a spell check in this posting box here..
Don't feel bad, he yelled at me too lol.

How am I doing ER lol?

Yell's the wrong word - sorry. He couldn't have been nicer about it. No more "u"s for "you"s lol.

But I actually was wondering if it's indices or indexes, was even going to look it up, so it's nice to know both are acceptable and I can't go wrong lol.

So thanks for clearing that up for me Rhino.

Kasi said:

How am I doing ER lol?

Yell's the wrong word - sorry. He couldn't have been nicer about it. No more "u"s for "you"s lol.

But I actually was wondering if it's indices or indexes, was even going to look it up, so it's nice to know both are acceptable and I can't go wrong lol.

Not INDEXES, but perhaps MATRICES. zg

bj bob

Welling with pride

EasyRhino said:
"Indices", btw. "Indexes" would also be acceptable.
"I'm so proud of that boy! Sending him off to college and such to git edumacated"
Quote from Mr. Rhino (Easy's dad)

sagefr0g

Kasi said:

How am I doing ER lol?

well if you remmember he kicked us both out of his thread for voodoo.
but funny i was wondering about the indices/indexes thing to or is it too well anyway its two words that apparently mean the same thing :rolleyes: .
but i think ZG may be out in the twilight zone with this matices stuff...
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showpost.php?p=75001&postcount=11

bj bob

Solving the problem

sagefr0g said:
but funny i was wondering about the indices/indexes thing to or is it too well anyway its two words that apparently mean the same thing :rolleyes: .

http://www.blackjackinfo.com/bb/showpost.php?p=75001&postcount=11
Let me shed some light upon this grammatical/ linguistic subject, gentlemen. Both forms indexes and indices are correct uses in today's modern English. So too for other words of Latin origin ending in X such as matrix and codex. So feel free to either one with impunity. The reason for this weird plural is that the Latin letter X is actually an articulated consonant meaning one actually comprised of two separate consonants, in this case the combination of C+S and so the reemergence of the C in the plural.
Where else but on the jewel of all blackjack fora (yes, that's the correct form!) could one find such nuggets of knowledge?

sagefr0g

bj bob said:
Let me shed some light upon this grammatical/ linguistic subject, gentlemen. Both forms indexes and indices are correct uses in today's modern English. So too for other words of Latin origin ending in X such as matrix and codex. So feel free to either one with impunity. The reason for this weird plural is that the Latin letter X is actually an articulated consonant meaning one actually comprised of two separate consonants, in this case the combination of C+S and so the reemergence of the C in the plural.
Where else but on the jewel of all blackjack fora (yes, that's the correct form!) could one find such nuggets of knowledge?
matrix
1. something that constitutes the place or point from which something else originates, takes form, or develops:

my apologies to zengrifter. he's right once again. geesh :p

EasyRhino

bj bob said:
Thanks Professor.

Now, does anyone know how the word "index" started being used to describe a strategy departure?

I don't know, but the word choice seems sort of unintuitive. Was there an "index" of a blackjack book that listed all of the play deviations? Does "index" refer to the count at which the departure is made?

bj bob

EasyRhino said:
Thanks Professor.
"de nihilo" (you're welcome!)
Now, does anyone know how the word "index" started being used to describe a strategy departure?
I believe that indices are a mathematical tool used to chart or break something into fragments, e.g. the index of a book or the criss-cross feature of a street map. The BS charts can be viewed as such.

I don't know, but the word choice seems sort of unintuitive. Was there an "index" of a blackjack book that listed all of the play deviations? Does "index" refer to the count at which the departure is made?
I definitely agree with you here. The better term seems like it should be matrix defined as: "A situation or set of circumstances that allows the origin or start of something".