met a hcder

blackchipjim

I was at the store the other day and by the grace of the bj gods I met a hc'er. He told me once that the dealer had a low card under ace up. He did it quietly when the dealer asked for insurance I lean over and told him do what you have to do. His hand was a A5 and the dealer A3 I had to stand on a hard 17. I thought a double down was warranted now I have to rethink the whole thing. We lost the hand anyway with the dealer drawing to 20. blackchipjim

sagefr0g

blackchipjim said:
I was at the store the other day and by the grace of the bj gods I met a hc'er. He told me once that the dealer had a low card under ace up. He did it quietly when the dealer asked for insurance I lean over and told him do what you have to do. His hand was a A5 and the dealer A3 I had to stand on a hard 17. I thought a double down was warranted now I have to rethink the whole thing. We lost the hand anyway with the dealer drawing to 20. blackchipjim
how did you know he wasn't just a bullcrap ploppy that thought he knew what the dealer's hole card was? just curious, i mean did you talk to him later or something?

Brock Windsor

sagefr0g said:
how did you know he wasn't just a bullcrap ploppy that thought he knew what the dealer's hole card was? just curious, i mean did you talk to him later or something?
Good point. Once I was hole carding a dealer and the guy beside me starts predicting aloud what he thinks the dealer has underneath. "I think you've got a little one under that ten so Im gonna stay on this 14". He was right with his first prediction (I already new the card) so I was fuming on the inside. I thought he was either security or more likely an idiot so I hung around... Then after 4 or 5 more tries in which he was wrong EVERY time I realised he couldn't see the hole card so I started to use him as my cover and encouraged him..."Im gonna bet against you and hit my hand to fix the cards" or "I bet your right, Im gonna stay too". I've never randomly spotted a hole card player though I once saw an old Chinese couple where it appeared she was spooking (she wasn't playing) and telling him. They didn't play long enough for me to be certain it wasn't coincidence though.
BW

blackchipjim

hcer

No acuatlly he was correct dealer had the three undercard. I had seen him before at the store just never paid any attention to his play. I know I shouldn't have but me being the dummy I am when the shuffle came we both stood for a smoke. I had to mention there is a club in vegas with people that have the same skills. When he said knew about it I kinda felt like a jerk so this is just another lesson in life learned. blackchipjim

RJT

El Gordo said:
Are you lonely or something? What on earth do you have to gain from posting this?
The very posting of a question like this in itself invalidates the post. Are you lonely or something What on earth do you have to gain from posting this?

RJT.

E-town-guy

RJT said:
The very posting of a question like this in itself invalidates the post. Are you lonely or something What on earth do you have to gain from posting this?

RJT.
I was also wondering who el gordo is and what the point of his post was. As far as I'm concerned you were sharing an interesting BJ story and if I see it as being a "waste of time" its my choice to read it or not.

blackchipjim

Lonely ?

I acuatlly started the thread as a point of interest in strategies. There have been other posts on the chance of counters meeting or being at a table with another counter. The unlikelyhood of a person being at the table and not only counting and a hcder is a strectch. Lonely hardly, searching for input in form of personnal experience is what this site is all about. If all the information about bj and it's little edge were kept secret this site and it's purpose would cease to exist. blackchipjim

la_dee_daa

Lonley? the blackjack community is here for you!!!

posting something like seeing a hole carder doesn't have anything to do with being lonely but frankly would anyone who doesn't have a interest in blackjack really care if you saw one or not so it doesn't help to tell them, at least the people i know don't care about my reasoning and what not in blackjack they just think i still took the dealers bust card and start giving me advice on how to gamble becuase card counting apperntly isn't a legit way of playing:rolleyes: . So the only people who would find that interesting are here. It suposably is some sort a "community" type thing also around here if you want to go that far.

:cow:

Would this be a good double?

blackchipjim said:
I notice no one questioned the double. Personally, I would not have doubled given this scenario, though I have not checked the probabilities.

First, the players hand of A5 would draw a 16 1/3 of the time. The advantage of the A5 is that you have at least two chances to make a hand without busting. If you double you give up one of the chances.

Second the dealer's A3 is not a bust hand. Dealer has at least two chances to make point.

Safe to say an insurance bet would not be good - LOL.