Previous chat room software

21forme

Ken,
Is there any way to turn off the PM notifications from the bottom bar? I already get the pop-up window notification that's been there all along. Thanks

iCountNTrack

21forme said:
Ken,
Is there any way to turn off the PM notifications from the bottom bar? I already get the pop-up window notification that's been there all along. Thanks
You can always hide the entire bar if you would like

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
I think I'm with you 21forme, I find the PM notification in the chat bar pointless. I'm thinking I should just disable that entirely.

Machinist

Fantasic new/old chatroom

Hey Ken!!!!! Excellent chatroom now. Really love the option of a private chatroom. Used it last night!!!!!
Thanks!!!!!

Machinist

Machinist

Nope

NAP said:
Do you need special privilege to start a private chat room? I couldn't figure out how to do it... :(
Even a commoner like me can have one!!!!
Try again...fairly easy. Although I did get lost trying to get to one the other nite..

Machinist

Jacob

Nicholas said:
I'm with NAP on that one. I don't see that I have the option.

By the way having the old chat room back is great. Thanks again Ken.
I disagree; I prefer the new chat room. At a free internet outlet, I need to reload Java and go thru other whole 9 yard procedures before I can get into the old chatroom :mad:. Ken, please bring back the new chatroom.

That sounds like the fault of the free internet outlet, not the chat room software. I think a more logical solution would be for you to find some other way of accessing it.

Jacob

Nicholas said:
That sounds like the fault of the free internet outlet, not the chat room software. I think a more logical solution would be for you to find some other way of accessing it.
Nice try, good assumption & recommendation.

Is it the fault of a Steve Jobs' free internet outlet? It's unlikely because the new chatroom has worked there fine previously.

Is it also the fault of Tor-Brower too? It's unlikely for the same reason. The new chatroom never requires the reload of Java in the outlet nor in the my homebase thru the Tor-brower, but the old chatroom does.

Tor-Brower
(Dead link: https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/)

It seems you are the only one with this compatibility issue, so perhaps you should find an alternative to Tor-Browser since it blocks Java applications.

I sympathize with your situation, but consider that after taking an opinion poll, Ken graciously spent $285 to renew a one-year license for this chat room. Unless you can convince the majority to revert back to the old one, and reimburse Ken the time and money spent, I see no logic to revert back to the old chat room because of one user's (avoidable) compatibility issue. I understand your frustration, but consider the bigger picture here.

Last edited:

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Creating a new room is limited to privileged members, which generally means someone with 10 posts or more.

Jacob, how about using a smartphone to access the chat room instead?

After all the dust has settled, I rather like the combination of IMs and the old chat room. Even with the Java headaches.

Jacob

KenSmith said:
Creating a new room is limited to privileged members, which generally means someone with 10 posts or more.

Jacob, how about using a smartphone to access the chat room instead?

After all the dust has settled, I rather like the combination of IMs and the old chat room. Even with the Java headaches.
Nicholas said:
It seems you are the only one with this compatibility issue, so perhaps you should find an alternative to Tor-Browser since it blocks Java applications.

I sympathize with your situation, but consider that after taking an opinion poll, Ken graciously spent $285 to renew a one-year license for this chat room. Unless you can convince the majority to revert back to the old one, and reimburse Ken the time and money spent, I see no logic to revert back to the old chat room because of one user's (avoidable) compatibility issue. I understand your frustration, but consider the bigger picture here.

Wow, what a coincident! This morning Father Murphy gave a great sermon in which he advised the parishioners to stop arguing or pleading pointlessly. He ended the sermon with Friedrich Nietzsche's quote:

“You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”

Hmm... perhaps a super-AP may be correct. He cautioned that posting or chatting is negative EV as soon as when there's nothing you get in return. OK, you guys have your ways, and I have mine. I'll spend more time on tables instead of in the old chatroom ;).

Last edited: