MGP's BJCA Combinatorial Analyzer freeware release

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Our member MGP has kindly offered his excellent blackjack combinatorial analyzer free to the community.

I've been a user of this software for several years, and it is truly an amazingly useful application.

The software runs under Windows and uses Microsoft's .Net technology. Because I did the install long ago, my Windows systems already have the necessary .Net frameworks installed. Therefore I need some help here.

If you are interested, please have a go at downloading and installing the software, and post your Windows version and what additional downloads were necessary from Microsoft to complete the process.

Here's the link to MGP's BJ CA:
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/free-blackjack-combinatorial-analyzer.php

If you determine that .Net framework 1.1 needs to be installed, check here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26

Again, if you have to download and install anything extra, please document it in this thread so I can update the download page.

FLASH1296

I wish that you could port it to Mac OS X

Please do not remind me that I could run it under emulation;
or tell me how splendidly WindoZe runs on new Macs.

MGP

FLASH1296 said:

Wouldn't even know where to begin so there's a zero percent chance of that happening :(

Coyote

KenSmith said:
Our member MGP has kindly offered his excellent blackjack combinatorial analyzer free to the community.

I've been a user of this software for several years, and it is truly an amazingly useful application.

The software runs under Windows and uses Microsoft's .Net technology. Because I did the install long ago, my Windows systems already have the necessary .Net frameworks installed. Therefore I need some help here.

If you are interested, please have a go at downloading and installing the software, and post your Windows version and what additional downloads were necessary from Microsoft to complete the process.

Here's the link to MGP's BJ CA:
http://www.blackjackinfo.com/free-blackjack-combinatorial-analyzer.php

If you determine that .Net framework 1.1 needs to be installed, check here:
http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=26

Again, if you have to download and install anything extra, please document it in this thread so I can update the download page.
I used both links you provided and had no trouble at all.

London Colin

Thanks from me too!

FLASH1296 said:

MGP said:
Wouldn't even know where to begin so there's a zero percent chance of that happening :(
For what it's worth, and though Flash may class this as a form of the emulation he doesn't want to be reminded of, the fact that it is .NET-based means that it might be compatible with various platforms, including the Mac and Linux, via 'Mono' -

http://www.mono-project.com/Mono:OSX

It's not something I've ever made use of, so I can't say how likely it is to work.

From what I've read, an attempt to compile the source with the Monodevelop tools might flag any problems due to missing APIs which would otherwise reveal themselves with an exception (i.e. crash) if you run the existing binary under Mono.

Interestingly there is a version of the Mono runtime for Windows, so it would be possible to test the CA with Mono under Windows, both to see if it works and to compare execution times with the Microsoft variant. (You never know, it might be a lot faster.)

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
Those of you that needed the .Net framework download... Was there some kind of message or dialog box that notified you of that requirement during the install?

sagefr0g

KenSmith said:
Those of you that needed the .Net framework download... Was there some kind of message or dialog box that notified you of that requirement during the install?
yes, errhh at least that's how i remember it going.

johndoe

KenSmith said:
I got this:

This setup requires the .NET Framework version 1.1.4322. Please install the .NET Framework and run this setup again. The .NET Framework can be obtained from the web. Would you like to do this now?
When I click "Yes", it brings me here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/netframework/default.aspx

I've installed it, but it doesn't work yet, repeating the message (I think I have to reboot). Windows 7 Professional.

Coyote

KenSmith said:
I received the same prompt as jondoe. I went back to your link in your post and downloaded the .Net 1.1 with no problems.

Nynefingers

Coyote said:
I received the same prompt as jondoe. I went back to your link in your post and downloaded the .Net 1.1 with no problems.
x2

I did get a warning when I installed .Net 1.1 from your link. I stated that there were known incompatibilities or something along those lines. It gave me the option to check online for solutions, which I did, but no solutions were found. I told it to install anyway and it worked, but I don't know if I'll have any issues down the road or not.

Looks like a useful program so far!

psyduck

Thanks MGP for sharing your analyzer

I never used an analyzer like this before and am currently playing with it. Your generosity is greatly appreciated.