Ace Side Count is it worth the effort?

V-man

Adam had a post here something like '21st century sidecounting' a very good post indeed that made me do some digging. I also found a couple of good articles by Cacarulo on BJ21. All talk about the efficiency of ace side count. I wonder if it's worth the effort? If you are playing 6 or 8 decks, HiLo, is it worth the effort to keep an ace sidecount and adjusted with normal HiLo RC for playing indices. Cacarulo's studies showed that PE for most (not all) of the C22 indices, Ace is counted as 0, about 5 indices (Ins, 16v10, 16v9, 12v6, 11vA) PE is highest when Ace is counted as +1, and for one case, 10v10 PE is highest when Ace = -2. So if you stick with one side count value, I guess the best is Ace=0. But again you don't want to loose the 10v10 case, which can happen quite more often than the other indices. Already complicate quite a bit the HiLo counting systems, not to mention that I have to re-learn all the new C22 indices (engraved in my brain for more than a year now!). My question is Ace side count worth the effort? Standford Wong in his PB book recommands against Ace sidecount. Has anyone run some sim to find out if it is worth the effort?

Rob McGarvey

I Think So

From my own experience I will have to say yes. Recent info has placed the value of the A around .61, much higher than previously, .49. Snapers are what we are looking for, and you need the A for that to happen. That is the reason we also try to track them when possible. Whether rich or tracked, I say yes. The 3:2 pay off is an integral part of my onLine RNG BJ research. Without thos snapers, what would the world be like? smile

Rob McGarvey

plus

it doesn't have to be a side count per se, it can be a judgement of richness without an actual count ala Uston APC. I do not bet less when the decks are poor, only more when they are rich, and keep track of them 1 per quarter deck.

Re: I Think So

In single deck an ace side count is good strategy. I use hilo but I keep an eye on those aces. Use a chip and stack it. Once you get 1 ace beware. Two aces the game is poor. Three aces out early time to move or bet minimum. I dont know the numbers. But I do know its worth keeping track in single deck. In six decks I still track just to keep aware. Good question for the Mayor!!!

OK,so it isn't THAT hard to do,but HOW MUCH gains?

This is the question I will be addressing in a follow-up to my "21st Century Sidecounting" post. In that post we established that an Ace (or any) side count is not nearly as difficult as that previously perceived by most in the cardcounter community. We also saw touched upon the importance of playing strategy in multi-deck games, but in my follow-up we will delve into this aspect deeper, and present some actual gains from sidecounting. I am trying to compile a little more data to back my case, and should be done fairly soon.

To briefly comment on the point you brought up about T v T, its basically moot, because not EVER doubling T v T would not substantially affect your ROI (or SCORE, DI, SHARP ratio, or whatever you use) because you don't see anything but a minute increase in ev at anything less than a TC of +8 or +9 (which you will see VERY infrequently) with this play.

ANS