Considering Tournaments

I've been to Vegas three times and Biloxi once. Three out of those four trips I came back with winnings. I enjoy the game so much that I recently reduced the Basic Strategy card to things I could memorize, so I now have the Basic Strategy (6-deck, Dealer stands on soft 17, no surrender, double after split) in my head.

I'm thinking about entering online tournaments for money (vs. freebies) and have 3 questions.

1) Do most of such tournament players have Basic Strategy memorized?

2) Do some or most of such tournament players count cards? (That's something I haven't tackled yet.)

3) Aside of learning about the betting strategies for tournaments, is there anything else I need to know, before I start laying some money down and playing in tournaments?

Mimosine

Ron in the ATL said:
entering online tournaments for money (vs. freebies) and have 3 questions.

2) Do some or most of such tournament players count cards? (That's something I haven't tackled yet.)

3) Aside of learning about the betting strategies for tournaments, is there anything else I need to know, before I start laying some money down and playing in tournaments?
Tournaments are a much different game that regular BJ.

BS is important, but in tournaments there are many times where you SHOULD deviate, and deviate wildly from BS, including things like splitting Ts, doubling down on hard hands like 12,13,14,15,16,17,18 etc.

The most important things is betting strategy.

Counting cards is not nearly as important as points #1 and #3, in fact some of the best tournament players say that there is no point to counting cards, betting is more important. there are a few books on the subject, including the one by Ken Smith, the host of this forum.

(Dead link: http://store2.esellerate.net/store/s.aspx?S=STR4969832038&COUPON=&SKUREFNUM=SKU40216403260&CMD=INFO&KENSMITHEBOOK)

Atl

Ron in the ATL said:
I've been to Vegas three times and Biloxi once. Three out of those four trips I came back with winnings. I enjoy the game so much that I recently reduced the Basic Strategy card to things I could memorize, so I now have the Basic Strategy (6-deck, Dealer stands on soft 17, no surrender, double after split) in my head.

I'm thinking about entering online tournaments for money (vs. freebies) and have 3 questions.

All of your questions can be answered live in the Chat Thursday at 9pm est.

The Guest is a Tourney expert of world renown.

As far as counting, it sure don't hurt!!!

CP