Cut Card Advantage

Hello all,
I recently have been trying to get into more advanced AP techniques. I have seen before on a DD game that when the dealer pulls the cards out of the ASM they reveal the bottom card. I have become pretty accurate (at home) at cutting exactly how many cards I desire to deliver that card where I want it to go. Basically if the bottom card is an Ace you cut it to yourself as a bet card; if it's a Ten then you want it to ideally be the dealers hit card although a bet card isn't bad at all; and if it's a small card (2-6) you deliver it to the dealer- obviously to the dealer whole card (if possible) although dealer up card would still be good (forcing the dealer to show a weak up card). Obviously I can add and take away hands as need be to deliver the card where I want it to go. I'm wondering if any veteran players have had experience with this game. I would mostly like to know what kind of EV and variance I can expect. Assuming I can get the game heads up with the dealer and my accuracy is as follows: 30% one card short, 30% one card long, 30% exactly on, and 10% I am off. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

The challenge, is that most dealers will require you to cut at least 25 cards, requiring a high degree of accuracy on your part.

When it comes to the 10 card, wanting to deliver it to the dealer, the tricky part is when you hold a total of six and you choose not to take a hit so the dealer will get it...
... Best thing to do is show the dealer and everybody your cards and do your best Austin Powers imitation when you stand and proclaim, "I like to live dangerously!"

At least where I have seen this, most dealers allow cutting 15 cards off. It makes sense that if they are sloppy enough to show the bottom card post shuffle, they also would not care about the cutting rules. Good point with the 10 card situation. It definitely takes more practice to pull that off. Using the 10 as a bet card I believe is still around a 15% edge (depending on the count). Which is a viable approach. I heard before the Ace is around a 40% edge if you get it as your first card (someone please correct me if they know the exact advantage) (again count dependent). That leaves me most interested on the EV if I can deliver a 2-6 to the dealers hole card. Or depending on the previous round might have to deliver said card (hopefully) to the dealer as an up card. Which wouldn't be as powerful but most certainly positive EV nevertheless

The biggest single percentage advantage is if you can deliver the 10 card as the dealer hit card ... About a 50% edge, and if you are heads up and the dealer does not take a hit, then knowing that you will get that 10 instead on the next round, that gives you about a 12% advantage.

DSchles

Tuck said:
At least where I have seen this, most dealers allow cutting 15 cards off. It makes sense that if they are sloppy enough to show the bottom card post shuffle, they also would not care about the cutting rules. Good point with the 10 card situation. It definitely takes more practice to pull that off. Using the 10 as a bet card I believe is still around a 15% edge (depending on the count). Which is a viable approach. I heard before the Ace is around a 40% edge if you get it as your first card (someone please correct me if they know the exact advantage) (again count dependent). That leaves me most interested on the EV if I can deliver a 2-6 to the dealers hole card. Or depending on the previous round might have to deliver said card (hopefully) to the dealer as an up card. Which wouldn't be as powerful but most certainly positive EV nevertheless
50%-52% edge for your first card ace, depending on number of decks and rules.

You might find this helpful: https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/gam...-of-each-player-first-card-vs-dealer-up-card/

Don

Last edited:

Zero

A recording of one of Semyon Dukach's Blackjack Science seminars. Ace cuts discussion starts at 9:35, ten cuts at 26:20, and small card cuts at 54:47.

One of the things mentioned almost in passing is that "you have to control the table". I always interpreted this as implying team play. Heads up against the dealer you can play one or two hands. Not much room for error. You and two friends can play one to six hands giving you more flexibility. One thing you absolutely must avoid is steering the ace to the dealer when cutting an ace. Give yourself a hand or two after the ace is expected as a buffer.

Zero said:
A recording of one of Semyon Dukach's Blackjack Science seminars. Ace cuts discussion starts at 9:35, ten cuts at 26:20, and small card cuts at 54:47.

One of the things mentioned almost in passing is that "you have to control the table". I always interpreted this as implying team play. Heads up against the dealer you can play one or two hands. Not much room for error. You and two friends can play one to six hands giving you more flexibility. One thing you absolutely must avoid is steering the ace to the dealer when cutting an ace. Give yourself a hand or two after the ace is expected as a buffer.

Thank you for sharing this Zero. Very helpful video!

Counting_Is_Fun

Tuck said:
Thank you Don. Very descriptive and informative tables. Much like your books! I feel honored to receive a reply from one of the top legends in the history of this game.
-Tuck
If you are really that accurate...then I would just deliver that ace or ten for my first card...for a huge advantage!!