Changes which hurt the player Changes in edge
Dealer hits A-6 -.20%
Double only on 11 -.46%
Double only on 10,11 -.09%
Double only 9, 10,11 -.09%
No resplitting pairs -.04%
No insurance (if you are counting cards) -.40%

And 8 Decks?
None of these numbers are very valuable, since you don't stipulate any number of decks or the rules you're using. Furthermore, it obviously isn't possible for the penalty for no doubling 10, 11 to be the same as 9, 10, 11. That's obviously a mistake. Finally, without stipulating a betting spread for the counter, it isn't possible to know how much not taking insurance would cost him.

I seem to have missed the first ten lessons. Maybe just as well!

Don

Dummy

DSchles said:
Furthermore, it obviously isn't possible for the penalty for no doubling 10, 11 to be the same as 9, 10, 11. That's obviously a mistake.
Or the difference is within rounding error for the number of significant digits used in the numbers quoted.

KewlJ

Number of decks used is misleading. The number representing the change in house advantage appears to be pretty minor, but it is really much greater.

Take 6 deck vs 8 decks for example. The differential in house edge is .03, a seemingly small and almost insignificant difference But the difference in win rate is vast. The BIG difference is when you break down true count frequencies. Night and day!

It took me 5 years to see this, actually. It wasn't until I moved to Vegas and had access to mostly 6 deck games as opposed to the 8 deck games that I played in Atlantic City my first 5 years that I understood just how great a difference it is.

And double deck compared to shoe is even more dramatic. However Double deck comes with a whole other set of issues on the negative side (heat) that have to be weighed into the equation.

Lesson 11 – Evaluating Games
While almost all Blackjack games are ultimately beatable, the rewards to be gained from marginal situations do not adequately compensate you for your time and risk. Therefore, you must evaluate a game in several ways before playing it. Two primary areas of concern are the house rules of the game, including the number of decks used and the placement of the cut-card, what we call “penetration.”
Many rule changes require a change in your basic strategy, so don’t forget about the “Basic Strategy Engine”. Remember that rule changes may also affect your betting schedule.
Effect of Rule Variations on the Player’s Edge
(Assume 6 decks, double on any first two cards, no double after splitting, resplit all pairs, except Aces, insurance is available and the dealer stands on Ace-6. This yields a -.54% advantage to the player.)

in the same conditions, if they were 8 decks, the percentage of -0.54% would be how much?

DSchles

Dummy said:
Or the difference is within rounding error for the number of significant digits used in the numbers quoted.
Sigh. Why do you write just to hear yourself talk? Your statement is ridiculous. Don't you think being able to double 9 has any value??? Double 10, 11 only is TWICE the penalty of doubling 9, 10, 11 only.

Can't you ever just read somethihng and then be quiet?

Don

KewlJ said:
Number of decks used is misleading. The number representing the change in house advantage appears to be pretty minor, but it is really much greater.

Take 6 deck vs 8 decks for example. The differential in house edge is .03, a seemingly small and almost insignificant difference But the difference in win rate is vast. The BIG difference is when you break down true count frequencies. Night and day!

It took me 5 years to see this, actually. It wasn't until I moved to Vegas and had access to mostly 6 deck games as opposed to the 8 deck games that I played in Atlantic City my first 5 years that I understood just how great a difference it is.

And double deck compared to shoe is even more dramatic. However Double deck comes with a whole other set of issues on the negative side (heat) that have to be weighed into the equation.

Take 6 deck vs 8 decks for example. The differential in house edge is .03,

Thank you Kenlj, it was the information I was looking for.