Methods for converting to a True Count

Deathclutch

For someone who is a recent convert to a balanced count, converting to a True Count is a whole new beast. Mainly I want to stick to DD games so I want to break my TC down into quarter deck increments.

I know there are different methods for calculating TC such as Fred Renzey's method of true counting up to two decks although I find it odd to work in increments of whole deck, 1 1/2 deck, and then 1 1/3 deck. Seems like that's missing a large gap between 2 deck and 1 1/2 deck, and it also may be odd to estimate that way, and then go back and estimate quarter decks only for my side count.

Breaking down each increment shows some to be easier than others such as 1 Deck RC=TC, or 1/2 deck is RC multiplied by 2. Even 1 1/2 deck is only subtracting 1/3 running count from current RC to get TC. The problem comes in on deck levels such as 1 3/4. At this point you'd subtract 2/5 RC (approximately) from RC which seems like it would be very odd to do at the table.

What methods do most of you use to convert to TC as I'm sure there must be much easier methods than what's going on in my head?

Last edited:

iCountNTrack

You take the running count and divide it by the number of remaining decks with a certain given resolution, i think in your case you would want a quarter deck resolution, you can also choose to round or floor the resulting number.

So lets say your running count is +8 and there is 1.25 decks left,

TC=9/1.25= +7.2, in this case both flooring and rounding will give you the same result. of +7.

Deathclutch

iCountNTrack said:
You take the running count and divide it by the number of remaining decks with a certain given resolution, i think in your case you would want a quarter deck resolution, you can also choose to round or floor the resulting number.

So lets say your running count is +8 and there is 1.25 decks left,

TC=9/1.25= +7.2, in this case both flooring and rounding will give you the same result. of +7.
Why are you dividing 9/1.25 if the running count is +8? Would it really be 8/1.25 giving a result of 6.4 so a TC of +6?

So you literally divide your RC by 1.25 and don't use any tricks to make it whole numbers, etc?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nynefingers

I would just divide by decks remaining, using improper fractions where needed. No tricks or shortcuts necessary. For your 1.75 decks remaining example, I'd divide by 7/4, which is the same as multiplying by 4/7. I had to learn all of the fraction to decimal conversions in middle school, so dividing by 7 is no big deal to me. Even if you find it difficult, it really doesn't matter. Just multiply by 4, then divide by seven, using a whole number with a remainder instead of a decimal. If you round, just round up if the remainder is 4 or more and down if it is 3 or less. If you floor, just drop the remainder. Of course, the rounding/flooring is slightly different at negative counts, but it matters less there anyway since you'll have a min bet out.

iCountNTrack

Yes sorry, it should be 8/1.25, i was in a rush when i typed the answer :).

As far as your whole number question, it all depends on the resolution. You could have chosen a full deck resolution where in that case you would divide by 1 instead of 1.25. Perhaps a few examples will shed some light:

Full Deck Resolution

0.85 decks remaining --> divide by 1
1.35 decks remaining --> divide by 1
1.65 decks reamining --> divide by 2

Half deck resolution

0.85 decks remaining --> divide by 1
1.35 decks remaining --> divide by 1.5
1.65 decks remaining --> divide by 1.5

Quarter Deck Resolution

0.85 decks remaining --> divide by 0.75
1.35 decks remaining --> divide by 1.25
1.65 decks remaining --> divide by 1.5

Division and fractions will require some practice from your part, do not be intimidated by dividing by decimals it will come to you after a while.

MAZ

Deathclutch said:
Why are you dividing 9/1.25 if the running count is +8? Would it really be 8/1.25 giving a result of 6.4 so a TC of +6?

So you literally divide your RC by 1.25 and don't use any tricks to make it whole numbers, etc?
A trick for 1.25 decks is multiply the RC by .8, that is real easy. For 1.75 its as said before multiply the RC by 4/7. If that is tough for you than an approximation can be if the RC is 13 or less multiply by .6 and subtract a 1/4 unit, and if the RC is 14 or greater multiply by .6 and subtract a 1/2 unit. For 1.5 decks you can double the RC and divide by 3. For .75 decks you take 1/3 of the count and add it to the RC to get the TC. You know .5 already, so if you get down to 1/3 you can just multiply thr RC by 3.

Deathclutch said:
For someone who is a recent convert to a balanced count, converting to a True Count is a whole new beast. Mainly I want to stick to DD games so I want to break my TC down into quarter deck increments...
Why? If you are playing exclusively DD then you can probably get a little more power from an unbalanced count. If you can sidecount aces you will get much more benefit from that work than from the work of true counting.

Deathclutch

Automatic Monkey said:
Why? If you are playing exclusively DD then you can probably get a little more power from an unbalanced count. If you can sidecount aces you will get much more benefit from that work than from the work of true counting.
I decided to switch after discovering that unbalanced counts lose a lot of playing efficiency during negative counts, and I will be mostly playing all. I only have a few tables and all are no mid shoe entry.

Deathclutch

MAZ said:
A trick for 1.25 decks is multiply the RC by .8, that is real easy. For 1.75 its as said before multiply the RC by 4/7. If that is tough for you than an approximation can be if the RC is 13 or less multiply by .6 and subtract a 1/4 unit, and if the RC is 14 or greater multiply by .6 and subtract a 1/2 unit. For 1.5 decks you can double the RC and divide by 3. For .75 decks you take 1/3 of the count and add it to the RC to get the TC. You know .5 already, so if you get down to 1/3 you can just multiply thr RC by 3.
Thanks Maz, I'm going to use that trick for 1.25, seems like a fairly straightforward way to get the TC.

Deathclutch said:
I decided to switch after discovering that unbalanced counts lose a lot of playing efficiency during negative counts, and I will be mostly playing all. I only have a few tables and all are no mid shoe entry.
OK, that's so, unbalanced counts do lose playing efficiency at low counts because they're designed to work best at high counts when you have a lot of money on the table. At least with your balanced system you'll be able to switch between DD and shoe games without changing very much.