Pair Bonus Side Bet question

At a local card club they spread a 6 deck deep penetration game S17, DOA, DAS, RAS, ENHC, ES10, BJ pays 3:2. and offer a "Pair Bonus" side bet where you can put down any amount before a hand is dealt and it pays 10:1 if you get dealt any pair and 15:1 if you get dealt a suited pair. Is that a sucker bet or could it be taken advantage of in any way?

Last edited:

Taff

I havn't seen that payout ratio before but 15-1 on same suit is lame. My game(s) have

Mixed colour 5-1
Same colour 10-1
Same suit 30-1

That has a house edge of 5.79. But the frequency of any pair hits at 10-1 looks more appealing. What I can say is it can't be taken advantage of by counting as a lone player. I think teams have tried it, each individually tracking different suits/numbers etc but I havn't seen any results.

abbrev said:
At a local card club they spread a 6 deck deep penetration game S17, DOA, DAS, RAS, ENHC, ES10, BJ pays 3:2. and offer a "Pair Bonus" side bet where you can put down any amount before a hand is dealt and it pays 10:1 if you get dealt any pair and 15:1 if you get dealt a suited pair. Is that a sucker bet or could it be taken advantage of in any way?
You can ameliorate most or all of the -EV by betting at extreme +/-counts.

Fenix said:
How many excess of a rank would you need for it to be a +EV play?
I don't know off hand, Eliot has assessed some of the dynamics... it's not just excesses, but also shortages.
When I indulge the the prop my primary indicator is the count while I am vaguely aware of shortages and excesses and rely on a certain degree of ... INTUITION.