Speed count success

FLASH1296

It is a weak count. That is not debatable.

What happens to a player after a short while, like 20 hrs. of play, is meaningless.

Ace007

I've played with speed count before. I am down 72 units playing this system just short of 30 hours. Simulation wise it performed pretty well.... but so far in real life hasn't! I'm not sure if I'm going to use it anymore. I tend to agree with the other replies with learning something like hi-lo or KO is better time spent. I like KISS 3 as well.

FLASH1296

You are an apparent "glutton for punishment"

Kiss 3 is just a hair better than you are using.

Why not invest some effort and learn something strong e.g. Zen or Mentor or R P C

Ace007

hey flash! lol! i am a "rookie" and can't think that fast yet! i am afraid if i jump straight to a balanced system like mentor i will be making more mistakes and offset any profit i could be making with errors that i wouldn't make with an unbalanced count. I am reading up on Mentor right now actually, but don't have the confidence to play it live yet. the blackjack blue book by renzey has the mentor count at the end so i am trying to learn step by step. i recently finished the KISS 3 chapter and my aim is to play it comfortably. do u think i need to scrap unbalanced counting all together and just play with the mentor?

Ace007 said:
hey flash! lol! i am a "rookie" and can't think that fast yet! i am afraid if i jump straight to a balanced system like mentor i will be making more mistakes and offset any profit i could be making with errors that i wouldn't make with an unbalanced count. I am reading up on Mentor right now actually, but don't have the confidence to play it live yet. the blackjack blue book by renzey has the mentor count at the end so i am trying to learn step by step. i recently finished the KISS 3 chapter and my aim is to play it comfortably. do u think i need to scrap unbalanced counting all together and just play with the mentor?
You are wise to learn a stronger count and even wiser not to use it until you are proficient. Many on this site try to use their upgrade before they are ready and then feel it was a mistake to try to improve their play. It takes about 9 months plus or minus 3 months for a person to adequately prepare themselves to realize the added advantage of a level 2 system. Most don't put the necessary time and effort in. You will hear them say what they saw in improvement isn't worth the effort they put in.

FLASH1296

Wise advice from tthree.

However if you are of normal intellectual capacity and are able and willing to put in sufficient hours at study and practice; virtual mastery can be yours in much less time that my friend, tthree, suggests.

Ace007

i have been told by friends that i look slightly retarded, but i hope my intellectual capacity is at least average (at least when no females are around)... just call me "rainman"! haha! i will work on the mentor count flash... and i agree with you tthree as well... i am very new to this game so I'm trying to get to my comfort zone before i graduate to the next step (level 2 balanced count). i just hope my bankroll holds up!

FLASH1296

Perhaps your friend's perceptions are acutely accurate.

First you agree with tthree's wise cautionary advice; and then you state

"I'm trying ... i just hope my bankroll holds up!"

You seemingly have no awareness that that is a contradictory statement.

You have been advised to study and practice — NOT to play and "hope" that your "bankroll holds up"

shadroch

FLASH1296 said:

You are an apparent "glutton for punishment"

Kiss 3 is just a hair better than you are using.

Why not invest some effort and learn something strong e.g. Zen or Mentor or R P C

Kiss 3 is just a hair better than speed Count?
I don't have figures for speed Count but K3 yields +.69% for DD and .7o% for 6D, the same as KO and Hi Lo is just a tad better at .74 for DD and .72 for 6D.
I'm not sure what your problems with KISS are, but your obvious didain is no reason to twist the truth.

Ace007

yeah... i do plan on putting in the practice time for mentor. but i know i am not ready yet based on the sims to apply it in real life. even using a level 2 count you will experience negative fluctuation in bankroll right? eveyone playing bj whether they're randomly betting or using a system has "hope" that their next hand will win... bj is still considered gambling and you never know what your next hand will be no matter how good you are. although the more advanced the counting system the more the odds are in your favor at a higher count. counting is "educated gambling"...

a level 1 count is still better than no system or basic strategy though in my opinion. has anyone here learned a balanced count right from the beginning? seems like most people on here gradually gained experience moving up into the advanced level like you flash.... i am open to constructive criticism though since many on here have a lot more experience than me and i hope to avoid mistakes which could destroy my bankroll. pm me for any advice you might have for me. i apparently do have a lot to learn as i am down for the year luckily i have a replenishable bankroll and i play more for recreation.

Last edited:

Renzey

Ace007 said:
I've played with speed count before. I'm not sure if I'm going to use it anymore. I tend to agree with the other replies with learning something like hi-lo or KO is better time spent. I like KISS 3 as well.
No need to be skiddish about the capabilities of KISS 3. It's a competent tool in the real world. I've received feedback from players who've logged roughly 6000 combined hours with pleasing success. Some "half-point" count all the deuces and "true fudge" their bets & index plays (both illustrated as optional playing upgrades in chapter 11 of the book). Some just play it right "out-of-the-box". True story for what it's worth.

Then again, quickly crunched, it looks like even 6000 hours still has 1 standard deviation of about 0.25% in EV.

This is not an attempt to demean the value of level 2 balanced counts, such as Zen, Mentor or RPC. Just that KISS 3 should garner about 90% to 95% of their hourly gain.