Splitting 66 vs 7

Sonny

Hitting has an EV of about -0.22056 while splitting has an EV of about -0.25276 so the cost of that mistake is about -0.0322. You won't be dealt that hand very often so you're not losing much by misplaying it.

-Sonny-

Done on purpose its one of many good little cover misplays I use infrequently. Usually telling the pitboss in attendence that "Its basic strategy - I read it in the magazine on my way here!" Then sometime the boss will point out that I got it backwards - "its split 77v.6!" zg

rookie789

Split 6,6 vs 7?

Actually splitting 6,6 vs dealer 7 as proper basic strategy depends on the house rules. Splitting is the correct BS play with DAS and late surrender not allowed but not otherwise. Thats why almost 100% of pencils include an erasure at no extra charge.

zengrifter said:
Why do you say that? Do you use basic strategy or a different decision matrix to play the hands? zg
Come to think of it not so risky...hehehe... I usuall play BS, but on occasion I prefer the odds... if you take one card there are 36 cards you can hit that are below a 10, if you split you are going to have 2 sixes and chances are at best you will get money back. A 7 showing means he has 5/13 chance of having 17 or better. I would rather take the chance of hitting and getting between 5 and 9. That way there are 20 cards you can hit to get 17 or better.

Sonny

bankrollboost said:
A 7 showing means he has 5/13 chance of having 17 or better.
That is not completely true. What if the dealer has a 6 in the hole and draws a 4, or has a 3 in the hole and draws a 5 and a 2? He still gets a total of 17 even though he has a small card in the hole. You can't just use the single-card odds because there are so many ways for the dealer (and player) to draw to a good hand from those other cards.

That is where simulation and/or combinatorial analysis tell the real story.

-Sonny-

Sonny said:
That is not completely true. What if the dealer has a 6 in the hole and draws a 4, or has a 3 in the hole and draws a 5 and a 2? He still gets a total of 17 even though he has a small card in the hole. You can't just use the single-card odds because there are so many ways for the dealer (and player) to draw to a good hand from those other cards.

That is where simulation and/or combinatorial analysis tell the real story.

-Sonny-
Very true. Didn't think about that.