The Venetian reopening thread

KewlJ

1.) how does taking peoples temperature do anything? First "normal" temperature is a range, not a number. Someone cold have a normal Temp for them of 99.4 and be flagged. Or maybe someone's "normal temperature is lower, say 98.0, so when they register 99.0 and are deemed "safe" they actually have a temperature. More important, many people that get this virus are asymptomatic. meaning the will have no temperature, but are still able to infect others. And if a person does show symptoms of a fever, it is not until several days in, so again, someone can show up with no fever and still be infectious. Taking temperatures at the door is a waste and seems like something just for show.

2.) 3 people at a blackjack table: If a table had 2 people, one on each end, they might just be 6 feet apart. 3 people and they are NOT 6 feet apart. They are 2 feet at best. And even if they are 6 feet apart (2 people), the players aren't 6 feet away from the dealer, unless of course the dealer has 6 foot arms. :D

3.) washing chips every 2 hours: I guess I just want to see this and how it is going to be done. Seems pretty unrealistic to me.

LC Larry

Yeah, some of these aren't going to be easily feasible and/or will just be too costly. I wouldn't expect them to be permanent either. Maybe for a few months, but that's about it.

johndoe

There is no way to accurately measure someone's temperature at a distance. This will be pure safety theater (borrowing the "TSA security theater" expression). You might pick out a few people with a crazy fever but that won't help much, especially since so many carriers are asymptomatic anyway.

I think they should put up big clear face guards on all the tables, like salad bars use. :)

Washing chips is possible, they'll probably just dunk them or spray them or something. Maybe hit them with UV. More safety theater.

I agree they will only do this for a few months, just to get SOMETHING going out there. It's a really tough problem.

gronbog

The problem will be the chips. Washing every few hours is useless. The chips will very quickly become contaminated if there is an infected person at the table. The dealer's hands then become infected (gloves will be useless). With a few minutes everyone at the table has touched infected chips. All the while, with not much to occupy their hands, everyone is almost guaranteed to be touching their faces.

21forme

Agree, Gronbog, although if every is wearing a mask, touching the areas where transmission occurs (mouth, nose, eyes) will be less likely. Eyes are the problem area with a mask on.

KewlJ

I saw one suggestion where incoming chips would be placed in one row and not used again and then chips paid out from another row. It didn't seem like the person making that suggestion realized that would last about 4 minutes and the dealer would be out of useable chips. :rolleyes:

I also hate the mask. I can't breath good through my damn mask. I don't want to be wearing a mask for the next year even with the advantage it would have for a card counter. :confused:

DSchles

"I saw one suggestion where incoming chips would be placed in one row and not used again and then chips paid out from another row."

And how does that solve: infected person touches chip. Dealer picks it up and puts it in one row. Dealer now pays next player with fresh chip from new row, but dealer's hand is already infected from previous chip?

Don

KewlJ

DSchles said:
And how does that solve: infected person touches chip. Dealer picks it up and puts it in one row. Dealer now pays next player with fresh chip from new row, but dealer's hand is already infected from previous chip?

Don

It doesn't Don.

And by the way, If I was a dealer, no way could you get me back in that environment, unless maybe I had gotten sick, recovered and had antibodies that might give me a period of immunity. As a player, I was feeling exactly the same way. And now I have gotten sick, recovered, will test next week for antibodies and would like to play if that affords me some protection. But you know what? They don't even know that it does. It does with most viruses, but this is new and no one can say with certainty that antibodies provide protection from reinfection.

I also have been thinking for a couple weeks that maybe there are different variations of this virus, which could explain a wide range of different symptoms, and severity of illness to different people. Low and behold last night I read that exact possibility. Some doctor was suggesting different variations, and that Italy and NYC might have had a more severe strain than other areas, resulting in more severe cases and deaths. If that is the case, I could have very well had a very minor stain and would have no protection against a more severe strain in the future. Way too much uncertainty and it seems to grow everyday.

21forme

I read there have been 50 or so mutations of the virus with minor changes in the mRNA sequence. They didn't address the severity issue. However, if the capsule (outside) of the virus remains the same, which so far it has, the antibodies your body develops will kill it.

KewlJ

21forme said:
I read there have been 50 or so mutations of the virus with minor changes in the mRNA sequence. They didn't address the severity issue. However, if the capsule (outside) of the virus remains the same, which so far it has, the antibodies your body develops will kill it.
Thank you "Dr" 21forme. :D Don't take it personally if I would like confirmation that I am protected from someone else. :p

Ok, so on one of these forums (I am reading too many right now), someone made reference to 98% of people will be fine and 2% will get sick and die. o_O I don't play blackjack to a 2% RoR. I don't even play to 1% RoR. I am suppose to play life to a 2% RoR? :oops: I mean that is the ultimate definition of "risk of ruin".

Last edited:

bwssr

Perhaps they should put a UV light over the chip tray and/or have player wearing gloves. I hear they may use sneeze guards too.

beating vegas

KewlJ said:
I saw one suggestion where incoming chips would be placed in one row and not used again and then chips paid out from another row. It didn't seem like the person making that suggestion realized that would last about 4 minutes and the dealer would be out of useable chips. :rolleyes:

I also hate the mask. I can't breath good through my damn mask. I don't want to be wearing a mask for the next year even with the advantage it would have for a card counter. :confused:
The Masks suck. Can’t breath either. I got the Kn-95 masks which protect up to a 95percent
against the Corona virus.

I don’t wear the mask.

beating vegas

DSchles said:
"I saw one suggestion where incoming chips would be placed in one row and not used again and then chips paid out from another row."

Don
They should have some 91 proof Rubbing Alcohol or some other disinfectant in spray bottles. Then every round or exchanging
Chips should be sanitized that moment.