tournament play DVD

I'm looking for a DVD that teaches tournament play. Or a book. The only book I found was called "play to win". Any other ones? DVD preferred.

I just bought this book called "Play to win". It is suppose to be on blackjack tournament strategy. The author won the world series of blackjack last year. His name is Ken Einiger. You mean to tell me that he lied to me when the website I bought it from said it was a blackjack tournament book? You said there is only one book on blackjack tournament? Should I cancel my order?

Mikeaber

newbie said:
I just bought this book called "Play to win". It is suppose to be on blackjack tournament strategy. The author won the world series of blackjack last year. His name is Ken Einiger. You mean to tell me that he lied to me when the website I bought it from said it was a blackjack tournament book? You said there is only one book on blackjack tournament? Should I cancel my order?
Nah, Ken didn't "lie" to you. His book has some pretty good basics about tournament play but they are "generalities" compared to the book Wong put out which has been the bible of tournament play for years and years.

Ok thanks. I'll buy them both.
My fault for the confusion. My initial post said only "tournament strategy". What I meant to ask about was "blackjack tournament strategy". And not all tournament strategy. :)

Last edited:

ok, so i just thought of something. Why would somebody write a book on how to win at blackjack tournaments if the person that reads the book is going to pay against the author(the million dollar blackjack tournament for example) and then beat him at his own game? Doesn't sound right to me.

Mikeaber

newbie said:
ok, so i just thought of something. Why would somebody write a book on how to win at blackjack tournaments if the person that reads the book is going to pay against the author(the million dollar blackjack tournament for example) and then beat him at his own game? Doesn't sound right to me.
Being a Pro, especially in a tournament, is no guarantee that the Pro will even qualify through the rounds leading up to the final table. Publishing a book on the other hand, will make money. Look at all the books on Poker and Blackjack that have sold well.

And furthermore, what makes you think that a Pro writing a book is going to disclose everything he knows about the tournament game :devil:

Mikeaber said:
And furthermore, what makes you think that a Pro writing a book is going to disclose everything he knows about the tournament game :devil:
Thats what I said. I already said that. You just repeated what I said. That was what the topic of my post above yours was about. Let me rephrase: Why would a professional blackjack tournament player write a book and give away his secrets? He won't reveal everything in his book. So the book is just one of those books that he put together real fast to make money and he isn't really teaching how to win at blackjack tournaments.

KenSmith

Administrator
Staff member
So, you're saying that some information is worse than no information? I'm probably pretty qualified to weigh in on this topic, since I've probably educated more of my competition than anyone else in tournament history. And, yes, I've been beaten by people who learned from my articles. Happens all the time.

There have been a few (very few!) topics that I considered too valuable to publish. That's changing though. If I can ever get the manuscript for my new book out the door, it will touch on every topic I know in tournament blackjack.

By the way, while I'm here, I'll drop in a plug for the blackjack magazine launching in September. I'll have a feature article in it as well.
All In, the poker magazine, is becoming two magazines in one. All In Poker on one side, and flip it over for All In Blackjack. The slate of writers is top-notch.

Here's the cheapest subscription price I've seen, $17.95 for 12 issues:
Subscribe by clicking (Dead link: http://bh3.net/l.php/1032) _here_.

(Dead link: http://bh3.net/l.php/1032) _
_

Mikeaber

newbie said:
Thats what I said. I already said that. You just repeated what I said. That was what the topic of my post above yours was about. Let me rephrase: Why would a professional blackjack tournament player write a book and give away his secrets? He won't reveal everything in his book. So the book is just one of those books that he put together real fast to make money and he isn't really teaching how to win at blackjack tournaments.
Wow, you surely have an attitude Newbie! My point was that writing a book that sells is probably going to be a more lucrative and dependable investment than winning Blackjack tournaments. The part I stated about not the Pro not telling you EVERYTHING in the book was more "tongue in cheek" and definitely not implying that the Author is Lying to you. By the way, I see nothing at all wrong in someone who has "paid his dues" going another step and writing a book that will allow him to capitalize on his experiences as long as the book is valid. Ken's book is valid!

I don't think that Ken Einiger in his book "Play to Win" ever intended to disclose everything there is to know about tournament play. It is a good read and it does give basic advice about tournament play. He does describe hand by hand, examples of reasoning behind the plays he's made in tournaments.

But, it is not intended to be the "end all" when it comes to tournament play. The book by Stanford Wong comes closer to fulfilling that nitch in that it is the best available work on tournament play to date.

But that does not in any way make Ken out to be some sort of ripoff artist as your post implies (ie "So the book is just one of those books that he put together real fast to make money and he isn't really teaching how to win at blackjack tournaments")

There are those writing books that give advise based on Voodoo techniques; advise that is just wrong. Ken's is NOT one of those books!