Looking for a book to read

  • cc218

    Looking for a book to read

    … but not a strategy book, something more along the lines of Bringing Down the House. Doesn’t have to be based on a true story, but having blackjack or poker as a part of the plot would be cool. Just looking for something to read while sitting around the house.

  • Dyepaintball12

     

    Quote: cc218 said:
    … but not a strategy book, something more along the lines of Bringing Down the House. Doesn’t have to be based on a true story, but having blackjack or poker as a part of the plot would be cool. Just looking for something to read while sitting around the house.

    “The Counter” by Kevin Blackwood
    “Busting Vegas” by Ben Mezrich
    “Repeat Until Rich” by Josh Axelrad

    Sometimes I have trouble finishing books but I couldn’t put any of these down.

  • shadroch

     

    I thought The Counter was one of the worst written books I’ve ever had the misfortuneto read. Not only was it badly written, but it was as realistic as a 1940s Sky King novel. Blackwood is a skilled player, and a nice guy, but he’s not a novelist.
    I was enjoying “Blackjack Autumn”, but misplaced it and have not finished it.
    “Fortunes Formula” was a great read.

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: shadroch said:
    I thought The Counter was one of the worst written books I’ve ever had the misfortuneto read. Not only was it badly written, but it was as realistic as a 1940s Sky King novel.

    I think it was ghost-written by his mom or sister:
    “You can do it, Billy. The Lord loves you, you know.” zg

  • zengrifter

     

    ‘Busting Vegas’ was the worst of all known Mezrich books. zg

  • Sonny

     

    Nobody is going to mention Ken Uston’s books? In my opinion they are some of the most interesting BJ stories published. I agree with Shad that Blackjack Autumn is a decent one too. There are also some great stories on Snyder’s website.

    -Sonny-

  • Dyepaintball12

     

    How nice of you all to bash the books I recommended!

    They are easy to read, entertaining books focused entirely on Blackjack!

  • Maestro

     

    “Las Vegas Blackjack Diary” by Stuart Perry, “A brutally honest account of what it’s like for a little guy to take on the casinos single-handedly…”-Arnold Snyder. Also a sure cure for insomnia.

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: Maestro said:
    “Las Vegas Blackjack Diary” by Stuart Perry, “A brutally honest account of what it’s like for a little guy to take on the casinos single-handedly…”-Arnold Snyder. Also a sure cure for insomnia.

    Yes, like Readers Digest – boring! zg

  • blackriver

     

    malcolm galdwell’s blink is good tangential reading for most people doing anything with their mind

  • blackjack avenger

    The Black Swan?

    Then one will be ready to bet more conservatively

  • cc218

     

    thanks for the input guys. I think i’ll be checking out a couple of them. Repeat Until Rich was the one i was trying to think of as i remember it being talked about on the forum before but couldn’t find it for the life of me. So thank you DyePaintball even though some didn’t like your suggestions, hopefully you self confidence can be restored

  • Midwestern

     

    Quote: blackjack avenger said:
    Then one will be ready to bet more conservatively

    or play progression bets & slots, as anything can happen at any second!!!

  • blackjack avenger

    Survival of the Risk Averse?

    Quote: Midwestern said:
    or play progression bets & slots, as anything can happen at any second!!!

    Gamblers and progressionists “can” win and someone does win those lotteries. However, as an AP pro one does not play negative expectation games. An AP pro is not concerned over winning to much, a good Black Swan. An AP pro would be concerned over a negative Black Swan. In the real world it’s difficult to get that ror to go away completely. There is a negative tail on the bell curve beyond 3 SD.

  • sagefr0g

     

    Quote: blackjack avenger said:
    Gamblers and progressionists “can” win and someone does win those lotteries. However, as an AP pro one does not play negative expectation games. An AP pro is not concerned over winning to much, a good Black Swan. An AP pro would be concerned over a negative Black Swan. In the real world it’s difficult to get that ror to go away completely. There is a negative tail on the bell curve beyond 3 SD.

    yah that’s pretty much the way it is for blackjack far as i know, so but anyway as a side note, it’s not inconceivable there could be inside of casino walls positive ev plays that carry black swan’ish’ riders that could payoff concurrent to the pos ev play…..
    edit: Black Swan by Nasim Taleb, not about blackjack but an interesting read.

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: Gamblor said:
    Huh, you can beat Roulette with Kelly betting criterion?

    Not following, please clarify? zg

  • Gamblor

     

    Quote: zengrifter said:
    Not following, please clarify? zg

    Nevermind, the blurb said Thorp beat Roulette using Kelly criterion, so I assumed just using the Kelly criterion. However, other places mentioned he also used a wearable computer, which makes more sense.

The BlackjackInfo Knowledge Base contains over 200,000 messages posted by the BlackjackInfo community.

Posting and replies to the knowledge base are no longer available, but comments and replies are welcomed on the blog.