Professional Blackjack Player

  • metronome

    Professional Blackjack Player

    Thanksgiving holiday my wife and I are playing in Shreveport LA. This one dude was playing Black and Purple chips with his son also playing. It is a $5.00 table for cryin’ out loud. During a reshuffle (6D) the dealer is asking the obligatory “where you from”, “what do you do”. She asks this guy and he says he doesn’t do anything. She presses. He then announces he plays Blackjack for a living. Wife and I ’bout fell out of our chairs.
    The pit had been watching him every time black and purple hit the felt.
    Funny thing is he flat bets red then all of a sudden throws out 5 black or 2 purple. I’m counting and there’s absolutely no correlation to these big bets and shoe composition. Meanwhile his son splits sixes against a dealer nine, dad says nothing. Of course the guy has to keep reaching into his pocket for more dough. For him and his son. Then he starts criticizing others play. And I’m wonging at the table and it is really drivin’ him crazy. Some crap about “ya can’t win no money if you won’t play”. I was ready for the “flow of the cards comment”.
    Eventually the pit just ignored him and his Blacks and Purples. He had to be down five or six thousand easy. Friggan’ Hilarious

  • aslan

     

    He paid dearly for that little bit of prestige that he gained from the other ploppies at the table. I wonder how he would have felt had he known what YOU were thinking!

  • ascension

     

    wow, how stupid and funny…perhaps he is a professional dis-advantage player i remember reading something in the Tao Te Ching along the line of those that know do not tell and those that tell do not know or vise versa….

  • zengrifter

     

    What you actually saw was one of the best family acts in APdom – went right over your head!

  • aslan

     

    Quote: zengrifter said:
    What you actually saw was one of the best family acts in APdom – went right over your head!

    Yeah! They sure had me fooled when they lost $6,000! Heck of an act!

  • Coyote

     

    I would love to have them at my table! They would be great cover!

  • ringlejames

     

    Quote: metronome said:
    Thanksgiving holiday my wife and I are playing in Shreveport LA. This one dude was playing Black and Purple chips with his son also playing. It is a $5.00 table for cryin’ out loud. During a reshuffle (6D) the dealer is asking the obligatory “where you from”, “what do you do”. She asks this guy and he says he doesn’t do anything. She presses. He then announces he plays Blackjack for a living. Wife and I ’bout fell out of our chairs.
    The pit had been watching him every time black and purple hit the felt.
    Funny thing is he flat bets red then all of a sudden throws out 5 black or 2 purple. I’m counting and there’s absolutely no correlation to these big bets and shoe composition. Meanwhile his son splits sixes against a dealer nine, dad says nothing. Of course the guy has to keep reaching into his pocket for more dough. For him and his son. Then he starts criticizing others play. And I’m wonging at the table and it is really drivin’ him crazy. Some crap about “ya can’t win no money if you won’t play”. I was ready for the “flow of the cards comment”.
    Eventually the pit just ignored him and his Blacks and Purples. He had to be down five or six thousand easy. Friggan’ Hilarious

    Where you the second son? Or the grand father?

  • Friendo

    I’m confused

    Quote: aslan said:
    Yeah! They sure had me fooled when they lost $6,000! Heck of an act!

    In that time interval, the greatest AP in the world could have lost that amount. Or is there something I’m missing about this game?

    Seriously: if ass-whippings are a sure badge of poor play, then I suck big time!

  • aslan

     

    Quote: Friendo said:
    In that time interval, the greatest AP in the world could have lost that amount. Or is there something I’m missing about this game?

    Seriously: if ass-whippings are a sure badge of poor play, then I suck big time!

    Splitting 6’s against a dealer 9 may be a clue.

  • metronome

     

    I don’t believe I would tell any dealer that I “play BJ for a living”.
    His bet ramp was without rhyme or reason unless he is a much better player then I (a distinct possibility )
    And this guy made some BS mistakes. And he let’s his son split 6s vs. a 9…what ?…for cover ??!! The son DID NOT know how to play.
    And is berating you table-mates a sign of an AP? or just a moron trying to impress people with a plethora of “folding money”.
    I counted/played a couple of shoes and was so impressed i left.
    Later my (almost)Basic Strategy wife said she basically told him to FO ’cause she didn’t hit her S17 vs. dealer 10 (lots of bitching and moaning), then she hit another S17 vs. dealer 10, and apparently saved the table (much kudos from dumb-ass), she leaned over in front of another player and stuck it to him.

  • Coach R

     

    Quote: metronome said:
    Thanksgiving holiday my wife and I are playing in Shreveport LA. This one dude was playing Black and Purple chips with his son also playing. It is a $5.00 table for cryin’ out loud. During a reshuffle (6D) the dealer is asking the obligatory “where you from”, “what do you do”. She asks this guy and he says he doesn’t do anything. She presses. He then announces he plays Blackjack for a living. Wife and I ’bout fell out of our chairs.
    The pit had been watching him every time black and purple hit the felt.
    Funny thing is he flat bets red then all of a sudden throws out 5 black or 2 purple. I’m counting and there’s absolutely no correlation to these big bets and shoe composition. Meanwhile his son splits sixes against a dealer nine, dad says nothing. Of course the guy has to keep reaching into his pocket for more dough. For him and his son. Then he starts criticizing others play. And I’m wonging at the table and it is really drivin’ him crazy. Some crap about “ya can’t win no money if you won’t play”. I was ready for the “flow of the cards comment”.
    Eventually the pit just ignored him and his Blacks and Purples. He had to be down five or six thousand easy. Friggan’ Hilarious

    Lot of the posters in here think there might be a reason for some of his play.
    If I were a betting man, I would bet he was just a dumb-ass, with a little money, trying to impress someone. (more dollars than cents)

  • kewljason

     

    It’s just possible….the guy was a professional blackjack player.

    By announcing it, he chose the time that he would be evaluated and made his cover plays accordingly, (Splitting 6’s vs 9 and hitting 17 vs 10). He was quickly dismissed as a ploppy, non threat at a cost of 6 grand, which betting purple is not that much. He then was ‘free’ to ply his trade for quite a while, maybe the rest of the weekend with no heat. Perhaps he walked with 50 or a hundred grand!

    Your quick assessment of the situation based on a few minutes of action, without knowing the final outcome could make you as gullible as the pit person he pulled one over on.

  • flyingwind

     

    Strange how the times have changed. How I used to wish I’d be able to play perfect strategy, and now I wish to look like a complete idiot. Is there an emoticon for “sigh?” Close enough.

  • Coach R

     

    Quote: kewljason said:
    It’s just possible….the guy was a professional blackjack player.

    By announcing it, he chose the time that he would be evaluated and made his cover plays accordingly, (Splitting 6’s vs 9 and hitting 17 vs 10). He was quickly dismissed as a ploppy, non threat at a cost of 6 grand, which betting purple is not that much. He then was ‘free’ to ply his trade for quite a while, maybe the rest of the weekend with no heat. Perhaps he walked with 50 or a hundred grand!

    Your quick assessment of the situation based on a few minutes of action, without knowing the final outcome could make you as gullible as the pit person he pulled one over on.

    I’m stickin with the “Dumb-Ass” guy theory

  • aslan

     

    Quote: metronome said:
    I don’t believe I would tell any dealer that I “play BJ for a living”.

    I don’t mean to bust your chops, but Earl Shriver, pool hustler extraordinaire, (now deceased) told me that the truth was the best con.

  • BrianCP

     

    Quote: aslan said:
    I don’t mean to bust your chops, but Earl Shriver, pool hustler extraordinaire, (now deceased) told me that the truth was the best con.

    Telling people the truth when most wouldn’t is the best cover story ever. Think about it, ask someone what they do for fun. Would you really think they were serious if they casually replied, “Cook Meth.”

  • Friendo

    Doofus plays can win, tragically

    I have performed a few of experiments in look-at-me stupidity. They didn’t work well. That is: I won most of them.

    I’m pondering the theory that a 1-2 real howlers are way better than a few mildly-stupid, but not particularly costly plays. The reason? You are more likely to win mildly stupid plays, and the average pit boss is more suspicious of winning than he is aware of stupidity. Doubling 12 for less, splitting 4s against a 4, etc. have won me so much money that I’m looking for near-certain loser plays.

    You’re buying an image as an idiot. Why pay less for an uncertain outcome, when you can get a sure thing for a bit more?

  • aslan

     

    Quote: BrianCP said:
    Telling people the truth when most wouldn’t is the best cover story ever. Think about it, ask someone what they do for fun. Would you really think they were serious if they casually replied, “Cook Meth.”

    That’s what I’m saying. Earl once told a millionaire pigeon that he was a champion pool player…. and he was! Of course, the mark thought he was just another player with an inflated ego. As he told it to me, it cost the fellow $100,000. That was a lot of money 60 or 70 years ago.

  • wickss

     

    Maybe he was a shuffle tracker.

  • aslan

     

    Actually, he was partners with metronome who was counting 8s and 9s (hence, splitting 6s), while the father was counting KO and the son was counting fives plus steering aces to the father. I don’t know why metro is pretending not to know them– I guess he’s testing the strength of his cover, but I saw through it instantly.

  • metronome

     

    Actually I was doing KO with a 312 card side count

  • Friendo

     

    Quote: metronome said:
    Actually I was doing KO with a 312 card side count

    Good, good – all good.

    I now side-count jacks: I played a couple of shoes on my coffee table, and I noticed that, if I had known there was a jack coming, I would have saved $1 million on this one play, because I use a $100,000 unit when I’m playing at home.

    To those who scoff, I ask: How many times can you afford to lose $1 million?

The BlackjackInfo Knowledge Base contains over 200,000 messages posted by the BlackjackInfo community.

Posting and replies to the knowledge base are no longer available, but comments and replies are welcomed on the blog.