How much cash can you bring on plane?

  • runningaces

    How much cash can you bring on plane?

    My bankroll has increased enough for me to ask this question now. I know I’m not going to get any heat over carrying 10k at my local airport but what can I bring on the plane in Vegas? I will be alone so I will not have the opportunity to give a wad to a friend til we get through the screening area.

    Thanks in advance.

  • shadroch

     

    If you don’t expect eat at your local airport,why would you expect it in Vegas,where they are used to cash?
    Why not just open an accoun at a Wells Fargo bank and then just transfer the money in and out of your regular account.

  • KenSmith

     

    Carry it through screening on your body. Cargo pants will allow you to carry a quite large bankroll.

    Your question is of course more relevant if the cash is discovered or inquired about by the screening personnel. Be completely honest about what you are carrying if asked. You might be interested in a recent article by Bob Nersesian in All In magazine. He describes a case where cash was confiscated. It was only around $30K or $40K if I recall correctly. After lots of legal wrangling, the cash was finally returned about a year later, and all ‘charges’ dropped.

    However, in that case there were other factors including an international flight and a one-way ticket. If at all possible, avoid booking one way fares if you are carrying your bankroll. Also be careful about booking multi-carrier connections, since those flights often look like one-way fares. Pay a little extra for airfare if needed, in order to avoid those fares.

    It’s really a shame that honest citizens have to be concerned about carrying legal tender, in any amount. But, that’s the world we live in.

  • runningaces

     

    Thank you Ken, you hit the nail on the head for me, the last thing I want is 30-40k confiscated for a year that is legally my hard earned money. The most I’ve went through the screeners with is 15k on myself, 7500.00 in each pocket (kinda like the cargo pants theory).

    And Shad, the reason I asked this question is because the last thing I want to do is put that much cash into my bank account, especially at once as you have to fill a form out for anytime you deposit more than 10k in cash. I don’t want to fill out that form, it only could have a negative effect.

    The reason I won’t get heat about a bankroll at my local airport is because everybody knows me, I could carry 50K on and they wouldn’t bat an eye, but in Vegas? Thats why I asked.

  • 21forme

     

    Any concerns about carrying false ID on you at an airport?

  • runningaces

     

    I don’t have a fake id, but I wouldn’t want to carry one after 9/11. If I get to the point of being 86’d at all the casino’s then I’ll just quit because that would mean I’ve taken enough money away from them.

  • vonQuux

     

    Quote: 21forme said:
    Any concerns about carrying false ID on you at an airport?

    To be blunt, unless I wanted to wind up in Cuba, wearing an orange jumpsuit and a matching set of ankle and wrist restraints, I wouldn’t have a fake ID on my person within 50 miles of an airport.

    Well, unless the name on the ID read “McLovin.” =)

    vQ

    PS: Scratch that — they’d probably think you were IRA…

  • shadroch

     

    Quote: vonQuux said:
    To be blunt, unless I wanted to wind up in Cuba, wearing an orange jumpsuit and a matching set of ankle and wrist restraints, I wouldn’t have a fake ID on my person within 50 miles of an airport.

    Well, unless the name on the ID read “McLovin.” =)

    vQ

    PS: Scratch that — they’d probably think you were IRA…

    You talk about Club Gitmo as if it were a bad thing.

  • Frankie

     

    Quote: runningaces said:
    My bankroll has increased enough for me to ask this question now. I know I’m not going to get any heat over carrying 10k at my local airport but what can I bring on the plane in Vegas? I will be alone so I will not have the opportunity to give a wad to a friend til we get through the screening area.

    Thanks in advance.

    You can legally bring any amount of money when traveling domestically. The only issue is potential for someone to think the funds are drug proceeds. I don’t think anything under $25k is a risk at all, and $25-$50k is probably okay if you have a good story. On a plane to Vegas (or even connecting to Vegas on your next flight) probably equals a good story automatically. #1 rule if questioned is tell the truth — not necessarily the whole truth, but don’t lie. “Gambling proceeds or gambling funds” should be sufficient if you have a Vegas flight or connection, and we are talking $50k or less in $100s. It would probably also help to have proof of a stay in Vegas (e.g., hotel details, etc.). Telling them you are an AP is irrelevant, I would avoid it.

  • Cardcounter

     

    [QUOTE=KenSmith;73124]Carry it through screening on your body. Cargo pants will allow you to carry a quite large bankroll.

    You might be interested in a recent article by Bob Nersesian in All In magazine. He describes a case where cash was confiscated. It was only around $30K or $40K if I recall correctly. After lots of legal wrangling, the cash was finally returned about a year later, and all ‘charges’ dropped.

    Only around $30,000-$40,000 you say it if it is like $40 or something. That is a ton of money to be carrying around with you. What if you get held up and somebody steals your cash? Why in the world would you not just put the money in a checking account that has branches all over the place such as a bank of america, or a wells fargo, or a bank of the west and then pick up your money when you arrive. Anything over $10,000 can cause you trouble.

  • bj bob

     

    Quote: runningaces said:
    And Shad, the reason I asked this question is because the last thing I want to do is put that much cash into my bank account, especially at once as you have to fill a form out for anytime you deposit more than 10k in cash. I don’t want to fill out that form, it only could have a negative effect.

    If you have $10 Large in a BofA account, you automatically qualify for a safe deposit box. Take the $10K out of the account and hit the SD Box for the rest. No plane, no forms for withdrawl, no carrying around piles of cash. Anonimity=priceless!

  • bj bob

     

    Quote: shadroch said:
    You talk about Club Gitmo as if it were a bad thing.

    “De donde crecen las palmas” I hear Zg has inside connections there.

  • InPlay

     

    Quote: runningaces said:
    My bankroll has increased enough for me to ask this question now. I know I’m not going to get any heat over carrying 10k at my local airport but what can I bring on the plane in Vegas? I will be alone so I will not have the opportunity to give a wad to a friend til we get through the screening area.

    Thanks in advance.

    It is not illegal to carry money on any flight within the USA. They don’t ask you how much money you have when you board the plane. I remember one time comeing back from LV with $60,000 stuffed in my pants and shirt but that was before 911. If you are leaving the country thats a differnt story anything over $10,000 has to be declared.

  • QFIT

     

    Legally you can carry any amount. But, this is a complex question. Rick Blaine discusses it briefly in Blackjack Blueprint (excellent book) and has discussed it more deeply in private forums. A few comments garnered from his long experience:

    1. Avoid carrying large amounts of cash. (that one’s obvious.)
    2. If you must, carry a letter from your lawyer or attorney stating the amount of cash that you have and its purpose. Return trips are a bit more complex but can be handled.
    3. Remember that it’s not just that you might have your funds temporarily confiscated, but that when they are returned – they may have been skimmed.
    4. Carry past income tax returns to indicate that you are in fact a pro gambler.
    5. In extreme cases, explain the situation to security personnel in advance.
    6. Don’t hide the cash. This is something I always agree with. Never act like a criminal.

    In my mind, the most important concept of getting through airports quickly is to look natural. The same concept that aids you in casinos.

  • bj bob

     

    Quote: QFIT said:
    Legally you can carry any amount. But, this is a complex question. Rick Blaine discusses it briefly in Blackjack Blueprint (excellent book) and has discussed it more deeply in private forums. A few comments garnered from his long experience:

    In my mind, the most important concept of getting through airports quickly is to look natural. The same concept that aids you in casinos.

    Hey Norm, I’m trying to PM you but can’t find a link. Could you help me out here Sir?

  • GeorgeD

     

    Having cash on domestic sounds right to me, but they can hassle anybody these days. I believe you can be in big trouble not declaring anounts in excess of $10K either leaving or returning to the US. They may expect you to declare it leaving the US, so they know it’s not earnings you are bringing back to the US.

    They have been known to confiscate cash at both ends of border crossings.

    Quote: InPlay said:
    It is not illegal to carry money on any flight within the USA. They don’t ask you how much money you have when you board the plane. I remember one time comeing back from LV with $60,000 stuffed in my pants and shirt but that was before 911. If you are leaving the country thats a differnt story anything over $10,000 has to be declared.
  • Automatic Monkey

     

    Quote: Frankie said:
    You can legally bring any amount of money when traveling domestically. The only issue is potential for someone to think the funds are drug proceeds. I don’t think anything under $25k is a risk at all, and $25-$50k is probably okay if you have a good story. On a plane to Vegas (or even connecting to Vegas on your next flight) probably equals a good story automatically. #1 rule if questioned is tell the truth — not necessarily the whole truth, but don’t lie. “Gambling proceeds or gambling funds” should be sufficient if you have a Vegas flight or connection, and we are talking $50k or less in $100s. It would probably also help to have proof of a stay in Vegas (e.g., hotel details, etc.). Telling them you are an AP is irrelevant, I would avoid it.

    That’s exactly what I would do. “I’m going to/coming from the casino.” If you are coming from, you have proof you were there because you’re on tape. Going there might be a little harder to sell, especially if you are going from Nevada to some little casino someplace else with $50K. But never lie because once you get caught in that you can plan on having the money confiscated. Also if anyone is stupid enough to carry a joint or an E on them with their bankroll, they deserve to lose it.

    Myself, I usually do the BofA method because my play doesn’t require me to transfer more than $10K per day. If I had to do more than that, I’d probably have to do a lot more planning.

  • Kasi

     

    Quote: Frankie said:
    You can legally bring any amount of money when traveling domestically. The only issue is potential for someone to think the funds are drug proceeds.

    Especially when a federal appeals has ruled that police are justified confiscating large amounts of cash found in a routine traffic stop under the presumption it may be related to drugs despite no evidence of a crime being committed. God forbid one of those bills might cause a dog to alert on it. Or something in a rental car even though it’s been driven by hundreds of people. Kiss it all good-bye.

    So, if you get thru airports OK, be careful driving home and to your hotel.

  • InPlay

     

    Quote: GeorgeD said:
    Having cash on domestic sounds right to me, but they can hassle anybody these days. I believe you can be in big trouble not declaring anounts in excess of $10K either leaving or returning to the US. They may expect you to declare it leaving the US, so they know it’s not earnings you are bringing back to the US.

    They have been known to confiscate cash at both ends of border crossings.

    Upon entering another country you have to fill out a custom decelaration. Right on the form it ask you if you are carrying in access of $10,000. It is not against any law as long as you declare it and state your reason.

  • QFIT

     

    Quote: bj bob said:
    Hey Norm, I’m trying to PM you but can’t find a link. Could you help me out here Sir?

    I have PM turned off. E-mail me at support@qfit.com.

  • MrMaster

     

    You talked about wearing cargo pants, i read in Breaking Vegas that Semyon wore tight pants and had money in velcro pouches taped to his legs so that airport security didnt have a reason to check him too well.

  • Tarzan

    Airport

    The biggest focus is on metal objects in an airport. As soon as you ping that metal detector they look at you closer. Having your cash in a non-metallic environment can’t hurt, I suppose! In recent years, they do an addition random lotto style “Let’s search this one EXTRA good” thing for good measure and to justify their jobs and all that. I have always been concerned about carrying large amounts of cash also and have gone to extraordinary measures for optimum concealment with much more paranoia of some “official powers that be” throwing their weight around than some desperado looking to steal it!

    Another good point was made about just driving down the road also! Amazingly enough, in many places I hear that the police will flat out ask,”How much money do you have or are carrying with you?” and if it’s enough they confiscate it! I heard this is a popular practice in Texas and Louisiana in particular. That television show “60 minutes” did an episode about this and went into how an older couple, retirees were on vacation driving through some place ‘er other and the state troopers did this to them, taking their approximately $5000 in cash which was their vacation funds for no particular good reason and they played hell to try and get it back! Imagine spending $6600 in attorney’s fees to get back your $5000 and have your vacation ruined on top of THAT! Wonderful country America, eh?

    The premise of this confiscation was that “obviously this much be some sort of drug money since it’s so much”… but the retirees in question had no drugs, no criminal record, no probable cause, no nothing… they were just ancient old people driving off on vacation… with a pathetic $5000 on them—Really not that much money. I think I am just as concerned about simply driving down the street with any significant amount of cash on me as flying on a plane with it. Taking it on a plane might even be SAFER!

    My thoughts and advice are to be careful in ANY instance when traveling with cash. Take adequate precautions! I often carry too much money on me to not take every possible precaution.

  • WRX

     

    Quote: bjcount said:
    This is old news, but yet an interesting complaint.

    http://www.courthousenews.com/2007/12/17/GamblersLoot.pdf

    BJC

    The capper was the demand by the DEA for a release of claims for civil rights violations as a condition of returning the money. It’s like catching a burglar with the stuff from your house, and having him say you can have it back if you let him off the hook for having stolen it in the first place. Unfortunately, this is a very, very common tactic by police agencies. Actually, it gets worse. They might offer to drop criminal charges and let you out of jail if you release them from any claim for damages for beating the crap out of you. Unfortunately, probably 99% of people in a situation like that sign the paper, because they’re so afraid of what will happen otherwise. The plaintiffs are to be commended for not having caved in.

  • callipygian

     

    Quote: bjcount said:
    This is old news, but yet an interesting complaint.

    http://www.courthousenews.com/2007/12/17/GamblersLoot.pdf

    I quasi-object to this being posted in this thread. The OP of this thread deals with domestic travel, and the plaintiffs in the linked article are from Puerto Rico, which – despite being legally domestic – has several rules which make it like international travel.

    Traveling from St. Louis to Las Vegas is pretty different from traveling from San Juan to Miami in practice, even if in theory they’re supposed to be the same.

The BlackjackInfo Knowledge Base contains over 200,000 messages posted by the BlackjackInfo community.

Posting and replies to the knowledge base are no longer available, but comments and replies are welcomed on the blog.