Boomtown.

  • BJLFS

    Boomtown.

    I only looked at their single deck game – I think that’s all they had. Anyways it’s BJ 3:2, NDAS. But the rest of the rules seemed ok. Especially for a SD. However, I think the place is very sweaty. I once had two hands of two units, then the dealer reached the end of the deck and began shuffling, so I pulled back the two hands and replaced it with a single unit of one hand. You should have seen the look on the dealer’s face! He looked at/through me. I think he knew I was counting but didn’t really care. He was giving me these “knowing looks” after I started to raise and lower bets. BTW there was this woman at the table who commented that I hit a 12 vs 6 and asked me later why I didn’t do it again later. I said to her “just luck”.

    As far as other things. They do have seem to have a nice shopping area with restaurants. Oh and they have a Peet’s Coffee. Not sure how much rooms are though.

  • WRX

     

    You left out the fact that the house max is now $200, making Boomtown useless for play above the green chip level. The place is in a death spiral, and I’d be surprised if it didn’t close down flat or turn itself into a slots-only joint soon.

    The sad truth is that Reno has a huge oversupply of both casino floor space and hotel rooms. Indian casinos in California have just devastated the place.

    Boomtown used to have pretty nice hotel rooms, bit it’s been three years or more since I stayed there. I don’t know how well they’re keeping up the rooms.

    Boomtown does have good blackjack rules. It used to be a good place to play. Of course now it has about 1/7 the number of blackjack tables going at any one time that it used to have.

    You discovered for yourself why switching back and forth between playing one and two hands can be a huge heat seeker.

  • Sucker

     

    The HOUSE max is $500; most of the TABLES are posted at $200. I’ve never had a problem getting a table raised to $500; you just have to ask.

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: WRX said:
    You left out the fact that the house max is now $200, making Boomtown useless for play above the green chip level.

    So sorry about that.

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    I once had two hands of two units, then the dealer reached the end of the deck and began shuffling, so I pulled back the two hands and replaced it with a single unit of one hand.

    That is an overtly amateur move for 1D games. zg

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: WRX said:
    You discovered for yourself why switching back and forth between playing one and two hands can be a huge heat seeker.

    Not if you know what you’re doing, which he demonstrated to the contrary. zg

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: zengrifter said:
    That is an overtly amateur move for 1D games. zg

    so what should have I done? Just left it out there?

  • Sucker

     

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    so what should have I done? Just left it out there?

    Yes. When that situation arises for ME; I’ll go to two hands of THREE units. Much cheaper than the attention.

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: Sucker said:
    Yes. When that situation arises for ME; I’ll go to two hands of THREE units. Much cheaper than the attention.

    Thanks man!

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    so what should have I done? Just left it out there?

    What was your max bet? (Not 2x2u, right?) zg

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: zengrifter said:
    What was your max bet? (Not 2x2u, right?) zg

    That’s all it was. But my max bet, because the count hasn’t gotten that high, is 3X.

  • zengrifter

     

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    That’s all it was. But my max bet, because the count hasn’t gotten that high, is 3X.

    Okay, so you could easily bet 1×6 and if you had it out on shuffle leave the 6x but convert it to 3x2u. The next shuffle bet 1×3 off the top and lose, count tanks bet 2u, lose and count tanks, bet 1u, shuffle bet 2u off top, etc. … but NEVER drop to 1u immediately after shuffle of 1D. Duh! zg

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: zengrifter said:
    Okay, so you could easily bet 1×6 and if you had it out on shuffle leave the 6x but convert it to 3x2u. The next shuffle bet 1×3 off the top and lose, count tanks bet 2u, lose and count tanks, bet 1u, shuffle bet 2u off top, etc. … but NEVER drop to 1u immediately after shuffle of 1D. Duh! zg

    Duh. Didn’t know that. Thanks.

  • WRX

     

    Quote: Sucker said:
    The HOUSE max is $500; most of the TABLES are posted at $200. I’ve never had a problem getting a table raised to $500; you just have to ask.

    I did not know that. Good information to have! Thanks. I hadn’t seen a $500 max sign in there since they generally lowered the table limits to $200.

    And BJLFS–I wasn’t trying to give you a hard time. Just pointing out what seemed to be the limited value of Boomtown to higher-stakes players.

  • melbedewy

     

    Any double down restrictions like Atlantis/Peppermill?

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    I only looked at their single deck game – I think that’s all they had. Anyways it’s BJ 3:2, NDAS. But the rest of the rules seemed ok. Especially for a SD. However, I think the place is very sweaty. I once had two hands of two units, then the dealer reached the end of the deck and began shuffling, so I pulled back the two hands and replaced it with a single unit of one hand. You should have seen the look on the dealer’s face! He looked at/through me. I think he knew I was counting but didn’t really care. He was giving me these “knowing looks” after I started to raise and lower bets. BTW there was this woman at the table who commented that I hit a 12 vs 6 and asked me later why I didn’t do it again later. I said to her “just luck”.

    As far as other things. They do have seem to have a nice shopping area with restaurants. Oh and they have a Peet’s Coffee. Not sure how much rooms are though.

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: melbedewy said:
    Any double down restrictions like Atlantis/Peppermill?

    Didn’t go there. Next time I am in the area I’ll go in and take notice.

  • WRX

     

    Quote: melbedewy said:
    Any double down restrictions like Atlantis/Peppermill?

    Boomtown allows doubling on any first two cards, which historically helped make it one of the better single decks around Reno.

  • Albee

     

    I was there yesterday…table limit is $200.

  • Automatic Monkey

     

    Lots of us have good Boomtown stories! Never found it sweaty though; it’s one of the few places in Reno/Sparks that I’ve never been backed off from, and I played it back when it was the best game in town.

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: Automatic Monkey said:
    Lots of us have good Boomtown stories! Never found it sweaty though; it’s one of the few places in Reno/Sparks that I’ve never been backed off from, and I played it back when it was the best game in town.

    Maybe it was just that one dealer.

  • bj bob

     

    Quote: BJLFS said:
    I only looked at their single deck game – I think that’s all they had. Anyways it’s BJ 3:2, NDAS. But the rest of the rules seemed ok. Especially for a SD. However, I think the place is very sweaty. I once had two hands of two units, then the dealer reached the end of the deck and began shuffling, so I pulled back the two hands and replaced it with a single unit of one hand. You should have seen the look on the dealer’s face! He looked at/through me. I think he knew I was counting but didn’t really care. He was giving me these “knowing looks” after I started to raise and lower bets. BTW there was this woman at the table who commented that I hit a 12 vs 6 and asked me later why I didn’t do it again later. I said to her “just luck”.

    As far as other things. They do have seem to have a nice shopping area with restaurants. Oh and they have a Peet’s Coffee. Not sure how much rooms are though.

    You never touch your bets in a SD game at the shuffle. It’s a dead giveaway. Simply let your previous bet(s) play and the follow Zg’s advice. Boomtown is not that sweaty if you keep it cool and don”t get greedy. As far as Atlantis and PMill are concerned, they do have SD, but they”re both d10. SD,DOA are the way to go, Try the $10-25 tables at the Grand Sierra.

  • BJLFS

     

    Quote: bj bob said:
    You never touch your bets in a SD game at the shuffle. It’s a dead giveaway. Simply let your previous bet(s) play and the follow Zg’s advice. Boomtown is not that sweaty if you keep it cool and don”t get greedy. As far as Atlantis and PMill are concerned, they do have SD, but they”re both d10. SD,DOA are the way to go, Try the $10-25 tables at the High Sierra.

    Thank man!

The BlackjackInfo Knowledge Base contains over 200,000 messages posted by the BlackjackInfo community.

Posting and replies to the knowledge base are no longer available, but comments and replies are welcomed on the blog.