Twenty-something hits Presque Isle Downs for half-million at BJ

• NAP

“The casino is not releasing the man’s name or exact age.”

…because I didn’t give it to them!

Just kidding, it wasn’t me.

• flyingwind

Why did they let him play so long?

• Billy C1

Question is——

It would be interesting to know how someone that age handles that kind of success!

BillyC1

• jaygruden

I hope if he’s an AP his identity does not come out but I think it will come out. Unfortunately, a secret can not be kept in Erie, PA…..not possible.

• aslan

Quote: Billy C1 said:

BillyC1

I don’t want to know. Life is depressing enough.

• Sucker

Quote: flyingwind said:
    Why did they let him play so long?

*Probably a known whale. Notice they make no mention of how many times that same guy had come in previously and LOST a half million! (No – I don’t know this for a fact; just speculating)

• creeping panther

Team

Maz and Bojack make another score

But then again I can think of 2 young Detroit guys, that if banked properly, could pull off such a win.

CP

• Billy C1

I think—–

The majority of people in their twenties aren’t skilled at money management. I hope this guy is an exception.

BillyC1

• blackchipjim

big win

Without proof because I wasn’t there I had to believe that it was pure luck that the gentleman won that sum of money. I’ve been to the state’s joints and the heat can be pretty intense. You start throwing out big money and it seems that half of the pit is your audience. They stand in big tubs to catch the sweat pouring out of them.

• jaygruden

Updated article……story shifts to October rise/fall in table game revenue for many of the PA casinos……..

“The addition of table games statewide, from 693 in October 2010 to 946 in October 2011, is one of the reasons for the sharp revenue increase statewide, McGarvey said.”…………………..

• SBT

Big Winner in PA

A Pennsylvania man in his late 20s won $568,290 playing blackjack at Presque Isle Downs. The article doesn’t have much detail, of course.

The bits and pieces I picked up in over-heard conversations at the casino was that he played at the tables on the floor, no special high roller room. He left a $30,000 tip for the crew.

This type of thing makes one wonder — was he a wealthy ploppy who got lucky or an advantage player?

• bigplayer

Couldn’t happen to a nicer casino (sarcasm detector going off). If the guy tipped 30K he definitely wasn’t an A.P.

• Bondy3

Quote: bigplayer said:

30k… even if I wasnt an AP I wouldnt tip 30k, thats ludachris

• ringlejames

Quote: Bondy3 said:
    30k… even if I wasnt an AP I wouldnt tip 30k, thats ludachris

My very first blackjack trip I ever took, I was winning my goal of about $250 from every casino I went to. I ended up going to 13 I believe. I remember being pissed as I walked into the last casino with $50 because I had tipped about $50 per casino. I started with $500 and know I tipped more than $500.

• alwayssplitaces

Quote: ringlejames said:

A few bucks an hour is a good tip rate no matter what stakes. All a dealer is doing is dealing cards and paying the players. A dealer dealing a $100 minimum game doesn’t have more specialized skills than a dealer dealing a $10 minimum game. If you feel that dealers should earn more than minimum wage, do you tip your server at McDonalds?

• psyduck

Quote: SBT said:

In a short period of play, many Advanced Ploppies can outperform Advantage Players.

• SBT

No shoulder tap?

Quote: psyduck said:

I am new to this pursuit, but I read on this message board of players being “backed off.” I wonder why this winner at Presque Isle Downs was not backed off before he got away with a half million.

• jaygruden

Likely a non AP. They want him to keep playing because they know they’ll get it back and then some.

I think it was the mid 90’s at TI in LV where the bum walks in off the street with his $400 SS check and builds it up to $1 million + playing BJ. They did not back him off. In fact, they set him up with a penthouse suite, new suits and all the booze and gourmet food he could consume. They kept him there for a week until he lost the whole nut, including the $400 he walked in the door with; then threw him back out into the street in the same smelly bum-clothes he had when he walked in. He was happy……lived like a king for a week on the TI tab and went back to his card board box with a great story to tell.

If ploppies play long enough they are certain to lose and the house knows this so they want them to stay and play until it’s all gone.

• Paddler

Hey Billy C1

I’m barely in my twenties and I don’t think I’m a poor money manager. I think I do an adequate job of playing to my bankroll of just over $55000. After all, its not exactly money managing we do at the tables, its ammunition control and waiting for the juicy TC’s to start firing with full cylinders.

• tthree

Quote: jaygruden said:

x2. Great story for illustration. The fact that they encouraged play most likely meant they evaluated his game and found it to be a long run loser. They just couldn’t keep him there long enough to hit the long run. All our money management and win projection and N0 figures are also used by the casino. They are almost always the advantage player. Bad variance for them or some other advantage play beside counting by the player they weren’t figuring into the equation.

• Billy C1

Quote: Paddler said:

You may be an exception to the rule. You must have had a nice grandmother to come up with a 55k BR at your age.

• Paddler

My Grandparents are definitely well off,

but still very much alive. As for the BR, $2000 turns into $55000 after about 1300 hours of 6D H17 games. Not to mention over-betting the bank until it reached around $15000.

Paddler.

• SandBaggins

Quote: “Paddler”:

Paddler.

That’s a nice run! You sure you’re just counting? Hehe

SB

The BlackjackInfo Knowledge Base contains over 200,000 messages posted by the BlackjackInfo community.

Posting and replies to the knowledge base are no longer available, but comments and replies are welcomed on the blog.