11 vs 10 ENHC

In "Professional Blackjack" says on page 82 that 11 vs 10 has an index of 3 in case of the "No Hole Card" rule.

Is it wise to double for a TC >= 3 and bear the risk of losing it all in case of a dealer BJ?

Thanks,

Mike

iCountNTrack

mleancole said:
In "Professional Blackjack" says on page 82 that 11 vs 10 has an index of 3 in case of the "No Hole Card" rule.

Is it wise to double for a TC >= 3 and bear the risk of losing it all in case of a dealer BJ?

Thanks,

Mike
It is not a matter of wisdom, it is a matter of choosing the optimum play that maximizes your expectation value. :)

iCountNTrack said:
It is not a matter of wisdom, it is a matter of choosing the optimum play that maximizes your expectation value. :)
OK, that's what I didn't want to hear, because I know how these tables are made. I just wanted to hear a reasonable explaining, if there's one beside the mathematical one.

By the way, what should the index be for KO?

Mike

SleightOfHand

mleancole said:
OK, that's what I didn't want to hear, because I know how these tables are made. I just wanted to hear a reasonable explaining, if there's one beside the mathematical one.

By the way, what should the index be for KO?

Mike
You can probably create a risk averse index for this play, which would both reduce the risk and increase SCORE (albeit slightly).

UK-21

It's a matter of risk . . . .

At TC+3, there's an increased chance of pulling a 10 to match your 11. But if the dealer pulls an ace you're doubled bet is toast. If you pull anything other than a ten, the dealer is favoured to win - so again the odds are your doubled bet will go south. You could help the call by keeping a separate ace side count so you know how many aces are left in the shoe - although most contributors here agree that for a six deck shoe using hi-lo the advantage of doing so just isn't worth the bother.

I personally wouldn't double 11v10 as, despite the mathematical advantage, as the risk is too high. Same reason I don't double against a dealer 2,3,4 when at TC+3 or higher when I've a "big" bet out. The chances of the dealer pulling a 9,8,7 followed by a 10 are always there and losing a 16 unit bet when I only start a session with 40 or 50 is significant.

To put this in perspective,I play a 1-8 betting ramp and my sums show that when playing all the long term advantage is just a little over 1/3%. But then I don't do it with any expectation of getting anything other than some free adult entertainment.

Does this help? Are you in the UK?

newb99 said:

At TC+3, there's an increased chance of pulling a 10 to match your 11. But if the dealer pulls an ace you're doubled bet is toast. If you pull anything other than a ten, the dealer is favoured to win - so again the odds are your doubled bet will go south. You could help the call by keeping a separate ace side count so you know how many aces are left in the shoe - although most contributors here agree that for a six deck shoe using hi-lo the advantage of doing so just isn't worth the bother.

I personally wouldn't double 11v10 as, despite the mathematical advantage, as the risk is too high. Same reason I don't double against a dealer 2,3,4 when at TC+3 or higher when I've a "big" bet out. The chances of the dealer pulling a 9,8,7 followed by a 10 are always there and losing a 16 unit bet when I only start a session with 40 or 50 is significant.

To put this in perspective,I play a 1-8 betting ramp and my sums show that when playing all the long term advantage is just a little over 1/3%. But then I don't do it with any expectation of getting anything other than some free adult entertainment.

Thanks for your answer. I live in Buenos Aires, Argentina, and UK is in my heart.

moo321

newb99 said:

What? Are you saying you don't double down 11 vs. 4 at high counts?

Unshake

SleightOfHand said:
I am also confused... You do know you have a HUGE advantage when doubling vs small cards?
Especially in high counts the advantage is significant. You're losing a lot of value NEVER doubling 11 versus 2-4 in high counts. You may have a considerable advantage plus you'd have a large bet out...

UK-21

No I don't. It's a risk issue. I realise that such hands are mathematically advantageous, but for me the risks of losing a doubled bet are greater than the potential rewards.

My spreadsheet (not accurate to the nth degree I'll admit) shows that TC+3 or better only puts an appearance in around 11% of the time. So considering that, and the fact I don't actually play that much (and then only at low stakes), it isn't so much of an issue - the number of times I've not doubled up on A-7v4 and so on at TC+3 are very few indeed. Now if I were playing with the intention of topping up my meagre salary each month, and had taken the time to calculate how much I needed to be adequately capitalised then things would be different. But I don't and I haven't (I don't have a bankroll set aside for playing BJ).

As to missing out on a "huge" advantage, that depends. Not doubling 11v4probably, but not doubling A4v4? - I'm not so sure. What exactly is huge? I think this is another case of the maths being the maths but what they represent in actual £/$s (to me) not being worth getting hot under the collar about. Having said that, when I play the hand I still have the same advantage, I just don't have the potential to win as much money.

How many of you guys bet full Kelly?

Last edited: